• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Need a little advice

K

Kyhlll

To start off, I've had GAD and Panic attacks for years and years now, with little to no success to help cope with and deal with it. I've seen a handful of therapists, have even been into a psychiatric hospital for my severe depression. I try to explain what goes on on daily basis regarding my anxiety, but doctors only seem to pay attention to my depression. At this point in time, I am not worried about my depression at all. I've been on many different anti-depressants and am currently on Cymbalta 10mg once a day. That has been working so far for my depression, and my doc said it would take the edge off of my anxiety, however I haven't noticed any difference with this medication, and other anti-depressants in the past. I've been put on Neurontin 600mg as an off-label use to help with my anxiety, and it didn't do anything but give me a drunk-type feeling. It's hard to go about with my daily life when a panic attack is lurking and ready to happen. I have maybe 2 days out of the week that I don't have anxiety/panic attacks. I always hear the same old "try to focus on your breathing, inhale through your nose, out your mouth, etc." but when I do, it makes me more and more worried focusing on my physical symptoms (racing heart, tight chest, fast breathing, etc. I feel like I am gonna have a heart attack).

This past Saturday, I had woken up and right away went into a full blown anxiety attack, one that I have never experienced before. I was feeling like I was going to die, I was waiting for something bad to happen, I couldnt control my breathing, I felt faint, my heart was pounding so hard & fast, and my arms went numb and tingly. Now usually I get the racing heart, hard to breathe, etc symptoms but this time they were 100 times worse. I went to get up and go get my boyfriend from upstairs because he was getting me a glass of water, and I fainted. It got so bad that I had to have my boyfriend drive me to the ER where they just had me lay there until the doctor came in just to tell me that it was just an anxiety attack (duh!). I told him that I experience anxiety attacks regularly and that I am not currently on any anti-anxiety medication. After it was over, he prescribed me .25mg Xanax (8 count) until I could see my psychiatrist. After I had taken the first dose, I was calm, relaxed, and could actually think straight. I continued to take 2 a day, and I am now out. The problem is, my psychiatrist doesn't want to put me on any benzodiazepines because of the abuse/addictive potential. But I think I do need something for my anxiety/panic attacks because they are taking over my life. I need something that can work when I start to get flustered because the simple anti-depressant isn't cutting it. Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do? Thank you so much and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, as I am new to this site!

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and :welcome: to the forum :)

I agree with the reasons why your psychiatrist won't keep on giving them to you, especially if you were taking them as a everyday thing and not when/if you need them.

Maybe ask if you could have some but make it clear that you will only use them in emergencies. (and you need to be truthful about that) Sometimes for me just having them on me makes the need to have them less. I'm only given 8 at a time because I'm a overdose risk but the last 8 I have had have so far lasted 3 months. Ok, I only have 2 left now cause I had to take 2 last night but still.

Maybe that is a good way to approach it?

Marliee x

S

stringbean

Hello,

I have been told the same thing by a few therapists/psychiatrists about the addictive properties of this type of medication. However, I have been on it for several years. It has not been a problem for me. Those of us with this persistent anxiety need help to improve the quality of our lives. I am prescribed .05 mg 3 x daily. Talk to your Dr again and tell him/her you would like this support until you are able to manage your anxiety. Let me know how things go. Good luck.