• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Nearly 20% of American adults have an anxiety disorder?

jajingna

jajingna

That sounds awfully high. I just sometimes google things like "how many people have..." and for "how many people have an anxiety disorder" this is the first thing that shows up on the top without even going into any websites:

" Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health concern in the United States. Over 40 million adults in the U.S. (19.1%) have an anxiety disorder. Meanwhile, approximately 7% of children aged 3-17 experience issues with anxiety each year. Most people develop symptoms before age 21. "

Source is just below that: Anxiety Disorders | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Louizard

Louizard

That is horrifyingly high, and consider these are just the diagnosed ones, and classified as disorders. We are missing undiagnosed, showing anxiety symptoms in relation to another illness, having anxiety issues that do not classify as a disorder.
It would not surprise me if that number doubled, considering those.
Stephen Ilardi has some interesting thoughts on this, about how as society becomes more and more modern and dethatched from nature and our biological needs, anxiety and depression will be on the rise. I suggest looking into this work, even just the introduction which can be easily found as PDF.

jajingna

jajingna

That "nearly 20%" can be broken down into mild, moderate and severe. What is a "mild anxiety disorder" anyway? If it is mild, is it a disorder? If only severe cases were considered a disorder, that might say "nearly 5%" have an anxiety disorder.