Nearing that time of night again - the dreaded bedtime.

S

sacbeer

So it's time to go to bed soon and I'm worried.

Every night I find it so hard to drop off to sleep because I feel alone (even when my partner is asleep beside me) It's part of my Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder. I hate to be without him. When he starts to go to sleep before me I freak out in tears and start hitting him awake hyperventilating.

It can take me a couple of hours to drop off to sleep at my worst and sometimes I can lie there and have all sorts of thoughts and feelings entering my head which make me paranoid and anxious. Sometimes I get nightmares (normally they involve my partner leaving me or hurting me or cheating on me) and I don't like having them. I get terrified that I'll have them, especially because they will affect my mood the next day when I wake up.

I suffer with ASAD and severe depression which is actually being strongly queried Bipolar so I'm an absolute mess.

Nothing seems to work. I've tried a relaxing bath and mug of tea. I've tried reading a book (but get distracted) I've tried calming music to help wind me down. My partner even gives me a massage to try and get me relaxed and sleepy but as soon as he himself closes his eyes, I'm wide awake and frantic about dropping off.

Help!

aleshadxcherylc

aleshadxcherylc

Hi Sacbeer
Welcome to the foroum well done for posting.
So sorry to hear of the way you are feeling.
have you been back to your GP about this latetly about your sleep and your worries anxieties etc. if not maybe you might want to go back to them and say how you are feeling and maybe get you some support if you dont have it already.
Take care keep strong and keep talking
Katie
xx

M

mckie

Try to have a radio which you can play without disturbing him. Also you could start counting - up to 100 then start again at onr. Don't wake him u p as that will make him feel bad, and heprobably needs a lot of rest. If it doesn[t work come back and tell us. Oh! a hot milky drink might help as well.

P

Petalsoup

why not try writing down your fears and worries once your other half isn't available? You could keep a pen and notebook next to the bed in case he falls asleep first and you can't sleep. I find writing and drawing really cathartic, it sort of clears my head a bit. Dont know if it will help for you but might be worth a try? You could also look back on what youve written to get a sense of how youve been and discuss things with your partner.

S

sacbeer

Hi all,

These are all really good ideas and I will give them a try tonight when I get the confidence to go to bed. I had my partner and I stay up till 3am playing on the XBOX so that I didn't have to go to sleep. I'm going to ready a notebook beside my bed tonight.

I never feel the benefit of my sleep - ever. I can't even remember when I last felt so fresh and energetic. These days I feel so lethargic and ready to nod off at any given moment. It's silly really but I physically and mentally can't shut off. The idea of sleeping terrifies me :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Anxiety Forum 3
P Anxiety Forum 3
S Anxiety Forum 4
LouisaMogs Anxiety Forum 2
E Anxiety Forum 8