• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

NDIS experiences

EddieHitler

EddieHitler

After 4 months after encountering NDIS I had an interview. They admitted to me they had little to offer for mental health, so don't get your hopes up. Extra psychologist visits beyond your mental health plan already in place was it. I think the ndis is like the nbn, great idea but the liberals have screwed with it. Sign people on but offer them nothing .
Hope someone has something positive to add but I don't.
Cheers all
Ed

Last edited:
vanish

vanish

Hey EddieHitler, I spoke to the NDIA just the other day to get the ball rolling. I am hoping for extra psychologist appointments, a support worker and access to respite for 3 weeks per year. I am not holding my breath that I'll get anything at all.
The NDIS is a lot like the NBN debacle I'm afraid! Mental health was never designed to be included under the NDIS, it was added as an afterthought. Again, mental illness and those with psychosocial disability are seen as the pariahs as society.

Macka

Macka

Hey Ed;

Not sure if you're still around, but I'll reply anyhow's. Are you an Aussie ex-pat or on holiday? Not sure why the NDIS is important to you. I see you're from Hammersmith; lots of ex-pats there.

I'm in NSW. NDIS is a headache but not anywhere near Centrelink as service provision goes. I'm putting my application off until the dept settles. The roll-out was a joke!

With MH needs, talk with your assessment officer. (The one who's assigned to create your plan) Once your needs are identified, it becomes easier. A list of private service providers will be given to you to choose from once your plan is approved by NDIS.

Good luck with it all. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Macka :flower2:

vanish

vanish

I only have two weeks left to gather my 'evidence of need' for the NDIA. That is virtually impossible, as it takes months to get in to see my psychiatrist. Apparently I can get an extension. I can't get my GP to complete the paperwork, as I see a different one each time I am there and none of them know me well enough to complete an assessment. This NDIS stuff is quickly turning into one heck of a farce!

Macka

Macka

Hey Vanish;

Your comparison between the NBN and NDIS role-outs is on the money. The findings that our phone lines were 'never' capable of dealing with necessary requirements in the first place, is indicative of ignorant cost cutting and "She'll be right Mate!" attitude. They can't blame the Labour Party because they were going to replace the lines; it was their idea to begin with.

NDIS pilot programs in the Hunter NSW show'd it failed miserably. So why not just implement it anyway?! You're right; it's a debacle. The NDIA have moved the goal posts so many times, small business service providers are now being blocked so large conglomerate companies, not all Australian either, can scoop the pools.

There's clear evidence that the lack of fair consumer choice in the community is already causing concern for the NDIA. They're recruiting officers to enter group homes for instance to try and weed out unethical/unfair practices.

Their original vision of the client having multiple choices for service provision is a farce! It may work to some extent in metro areas, but fails in regional and isolated regions.

Mental health has been separated from the disability sector in terms of need and validity as you say. If you can't see it, it doesn't exist. Ignorance is monetary bliss!

When Jeff Kennett (ex Premier of Vic) was affected by depression, he started up the BeyondBlue Mental Health organisation. It's now headed up by ex Prime Minister Julia Gillard. They don't have any funding problems there; hmm..:mrgreen:

I guess I needed a rant this morning, thanks for the opportunity. Hope all's well with your progress.

EddieHitler

EddieHitler

My Ndis has gone through, allocated about 13 grand. What I can spend that money on is very unclear. The Ndis website wasn't working and the the best my Ndis contact could say was good luck. Got it working and it lists all providers in the area but can't find anything that applies to me. Sorry I started this thread in the negative, seems a pretty legit service, if you can navigate it.

vanish

vanish

I hope I am allocated some funds which allow me to have a support worker and regular (every 4 months) respite. I find I need these things to keep functional.
Best of luck sourcing services to assist you EddirHitler!

vanish

vanish

Well I applied for the NDIS and was told I was ineligible (but I can appeal). Apparently my psychiatrist didn't fill the forms out correctly. I have been exited so far from all support services I had, so life is pretty shitty really. The people who really need this (and I am talking some out there other than me) are rapidly falling through the cracks of an already fractured system. I was speaking today to an NDIS co-ordinator and she agreed whole-heartedly... the system is failing and in most areas within Australia it hasn't even come online yet.

vanish

vanish

Well I appealed and was SUCCESSFUL. Tomorrow I have my planning meeting. I'm not aiming for a huge package, but I'd like to have increased psychologist appointments and access to regular respite if I can. I figure I can do without a support worker, but I do need travel training as I panic on buses and trains (particularly if it is somewhere I've not travelled on regularly or if I am travelling into the city). More than once I've accidentally gotten on the wrong service and ended up somewhere really weird. I usually rely upon Uber, but that is pretty impractical if I am doing return most days. I need to know where and who and when to ask for help.

vanish

vanish

I had my planning conversation/interview. It was weird answering about gazillion questions and struggling to find what I thought was the right answer. By the end of next month, I should receive my plan.
The assessor agreed that regular respite would be great for me, as would more regular psychology appointments. No mention of a support worker so who knows what will happen there?
I am hoping for a good result. In a couple of weeks I have to attend a training session on how to use my online NDIS portal.

vanish

vanish

Well I was allocated $45 grand! I made my second service agreement today (one with a plan manager/accountant and another for respite - can you believe I am funded for 50 days of respite?). I also got funded for extra psychology and support worker. Not too shabby I think from a topsy turvy government! I wonder who our Prime Minister will be in the morning? Welcome to Australia where voting is compulsory and the results don't matter!

EddieHitler

EddieHitler

Really pleased for you Vanish. I'm up for a review next month and am having trouble navigating the system, so hoping for a support worker. 50 days of respite is a pretty kick ass result, might try a bit harder at the next interview.

vanish

vanish

Do try to get a support worker on board EddieHitler, as they often know how to navigate through a tricky system. Remember also to ask for funding for a coordinator of supports. I didn’t get funding for this and have had to try to find my own supports myself using the online portal. It’s a mine field!

vanish

vanish

I finally managed to find a psychologist who operates under the ndis only to discover I still have to get a referral from a gp even though they will not be funded by a mhcp. Should be able to sort something out I hope.

EddieHitler

EddieHitler

Same here Vanish. Just started a new psychologist last week after my Mental Health Nurse lost funding. They all seem to charge about $150 an hour. I was trying to get them to use the MHCP and just pay the gap with the NDIS, but that's not a goer apparently. The NDIS services are starting to finally come on stream.

vanish

vanish

I hope to figure something out by the end of the week EddieHitler. Yet another service agreement to sign.