• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Naturopathic Delusions

F

firemonkee57

I want the public to fully understand what naturopaths are, because I don’t think that they do. This is a situation common to many cults and pseudosciences – there is a superficial layer of reality that represents the public face of the group, largely crafted for marketing purposes, and then there is the deeper layer of utter nonsense that most people don’t see. Homeopathy is a great example. Unless you are a skeptic or true believer, chances are you think homeopathy is some form of herbalism, rather than the magic potions that it is.

Naturopathy is similar. The superficial marketing level presentation of naturopathy is that its practitioners are medically trained and emphasize nutrition, lifestyle, and natural remedies. I attended a lecture at Yale by a naturopath who summarized their training as, “Everything you get in medical school, plus nutrition.” (The first claim is patently wrong, and the second falsely assumes that medical training does not include nutrition.)

The marketing, however, is working. After a recent article about naturopathy we posted on our Facebook page we had this comment:

How can you stop believing whole food, herbs, sunshine, fresh air, good water, exercise and human touch (which are the foundation of naturopathic medicine) are worse for you than allopathic poisons?

Marketing propaganda successfully internalized.

This summary is an absolute fiction on multiple levels. First, there is no such thing as allopathic medicine. That is a derogatory term invented by Hahnemann (the inventor of homeopathy) to denigrate the medicine of his time (which no longer exists). Second, good nutrition and exercise are part of science-based medicine, not a recent invention by alternative gurus. Finally, this bunny rabbits and sunshine image of naturopathy is a fiction.

Naturopathy is pseudoscience from top to bottom. They may throw in some basic nutrition and lifestyle advice, hardly something you need a special practitioner for, but what makes up the core of naturopathy is pure nonsense. The whole “natural” vibe is just the candy coating.
NeuroLogica Blog » Naturopathic Delusions

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I understand this is a bit hypocritical because I do believe in and have been helped hugely by a lot of alternative therapies.. but for some reason, i've never bought into the concept of homeopathy.

I was at a mini-festival where there was an homeopathist on site to help people. I was offered a remedy for something I was struggling with, and it did nothing... this was before I was cynical of it, and so even the placebo effect didn't work. :unsure:

Naturopathy isn't something i've really looked into - first and foremost because i'm not ready to change what I eat and am not up for any lectures because I know sugar is bad. :rolleyes:

I mean I suppose i'm torn between thinking that if it helps someone, then who is anybody to criticise?
I've been helped by some really wacky spiritual healing and if anybody was looking in on the session, they must have thought I was a mug to be putting myself through it.

On the other hand, I do think that because these people aren't actually doctors, there are far fewer rules and regulations to protect people from being exploited or harmed.
I know of people who say that naturopathy has cured their cancer.
It's in situations like those that I hate the thought of somebody being offered false hope in exchange for money (and usually a lot of money at that - these kinds of therapies are very expensive).

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think there is a place for preventative & alternative healing approaches, as there is a place for mainstream medicine.

i've tried a myriad of alternative approaches, & in ways i think it has helped.

i think people can get stuck between orthodox & alternative - & i'd like to see a more integrated & holistic (whole person) approach in general.

Personally i like Homoeopathy, & agree in part with it's principles.

Over the past 7 or so months i've been looking into & working with Rife/Radionics healing, & i think there is something in it. Have also been having the odd session with crystal/sound/energy healing. Have also been trying some supplements. It's part of things for me to explore & use alternative healing.

Y

Yoghurt and nuts

It makes sense to me that if what you bad diets can cause problems, then it may be possible to fix problems with diet. For example a deficiency in magnesium can lead to and exacerbate all sorts of mental health problems. Why can't this be fixed by adjusting diet or supplementing?

Why for example if schizophrenia is associated with low selenium, not make sure schizophrenics have adequate selenium. I eat brazil nuts to try to get adequate selenium.

Just fixing one deficiency or imbalance can have a big effect, eating the right diet can put you back on track.

Iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism, but medical doctors fix it with thyroid hormones. Why not try fixing deficiencies first? It may be a much better outcome long term. What if an iodine deficiency resulted in depression? You might be treated with anti-depressants. When maybe kelp is the answer. Maybe you are short of vitamin D, and need to eat the right fish.

Whether naturopaths are quacks or not, I don't know. But I have found improving diet, and making sure I get enough (but not too much) vitamins and minerals has helped my both my health and mood enormously.

Kerome

Kerome

It makes sense to fix deficiencies in diet first - if you can find out what they are. Often it’s a scattershot of probing in the dark... you have hypothyroidism, then you look what deficiencies can cause that, and you eat more of those things.

As for naturopathy, I believe it may have a place, but it’s mainly about making you feel better. You wouldn’t go to a herbalist to treat a broken bone, similarly I don’t think you should go to a naturopath to treat cancer. But depression may be a different story.

For example, a member of my family suffers from nasal polyps, and she acquired a homeopathic remedy. Now it’s a number of weeks later and the polyps are still there, but she does feel invigorated and that the side effects of her hormone treatment (for a lung condition) are not so severe. So perhaps the medicine does have an effect overall, even if it’s not curing the physical ailment it was aimed at.