• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Natural Treatment for Depression with Vitamins and Supplements

J

jessiejiang1

Hey ,as i know taking natural herbs like Vitamin D,Calcium Citrate, DHEA,Omega - 3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin B Complex is good for treating depression in an effective and natural way.

Depression is a condition characterized by unhappy, hopeless feelings. St. Johns Wort Extract helps to promote a positive mood and a healthy emotional balance essential in the natural treatment of depression. Studies have shown that Vitamin D and Calcium Citrate supplementation may be important in elevating the mood and in relieving symptoms of depression.

St.Johns Wort Extract helps to promote a positive mood and a healthy emotional balance, essentials in the natural treatment of depression. Clinical research has suggested that taking DHEA orally might improve the symptoms of depression. Omega - 3 Fatty Acids are vital for managing all brain and nerve abnormalities. The Vitamin B Complex is made up of several vitamins that work in unison to assist with the symptoms of depression and to support the health of the nervous system. Studies have shown that Vitamin D and Calcium Citrate supplementation may be important in elevating moods and relieving symptoms of depression.

I got this info. from one of the famous nutritional consultant whose name is Dr. James F. Balch. He is also a physician, a surgeon, and a leading authority on integrative medicine and nutritional healing. Dr Balch has written several books and co-authored two best-selling books that address a broad range of health concerns and their nutritional prescriptions.

Try googling custom made supplements and vitamins for treating depression, and find a personalized health solution for yourself.

D

Dollit

St John's Wort should only be taken under medical supervision. It can interact badly with existing medication, not necessarily taken for depression or even other prescribed drugs.

Where St John's Wort has been shown to work it has been with low grade depression and would not necessarily be applicable to the majority of people on here.

The same applies to Vitamin D, the omega oils etc.

We get this promotion of this combination all the time on here - does everybody think they've discovered the panacea for all ills? lol

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I look forward to when I get prescribed chocolate and cream cakes for breakfast and curry for dinner washed down with a bottle of pinot grigio and a packet of chipsticks.:drool:

D

Dollit

Now that is nutritional therapy to follow (apart from the wine because I don't drink) but I think chocolate for breakfast and ice cream for supper is good for you! lol

A

Apotheosis

Hey ,as i know taking natural herbs like Vitamin D,Calcium Citrate, DHEA,Omega - 3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin B Complex is good for treating depression in an effective and natural way.
Nutrition & dietary supplements can have enormous help & benefit on certain health conditions. Even in severe cases it can have very effective benefits; but as has been pointed out - not for everyone - it is not a cure all, but should be considered as part of a treatment program; & as something which could potentially benefit. A good diet is very important for me - I eat as much fresh food as I can; fresh fruit & veg, a lot of sea food. I drink a lot of fluids.

In my case nutritional supplements haven't done the trick. A few years ago I went to see a very competent nutritionist. I tried an extreme diet cutting out certain foods, which I found too hard to stick to. I also bought a lot of supplements. I didn't find too much of a difference. I still take some supplements occasionally. The omegas & B vitamins are good, as well as C & certain others. But in relation to the "problems" I have, I do not think they are related to nutrition.

H

helpmarcproject

Your Body is a Shrine

You are on the right track, I believe that if your body has a chemical inbalance then your body has the means within it to fix itself. Rx medicine that introduces synthetic chemical agents into its normal routine can't be helpful. I am with you, take things like Magneisum (sp?), Potassium, and Omega 3 to help balance your emotionally.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Depression has much more complex causes. I am in agreement with a healthy diet and supplements but these will not work on their own with severe enduring mental health conditions much as I wish they did. It can be dangerous to assume that they can and that you can make yourself well and is I believe far safer to encourage people to see medical professionals and follow medical treatments. I have often felt like not taking anti depressants and sometimes stopped against medical advice but to me this is part of the not wanting to accept the illness and general pessimism that depression brings. Even last night I decided thats it no more drugs but by the morning took them as normal.
KP:confused:

S

sweetmaisie

I am really interested into the topic of vitamins and health supplements. I have already read a lot about it but although I have a few questions which are unanswered until now. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables every day. In spite of that is it necessary to take vitamins? Do I have to consider something special? Which vitamins are good in each and every case? Would appreciate some guidance. thx in advance

D

Dollit

If you are eating a balanced diet, do not take excessive amounts of alcohol, are not pregnant or elderly then there is usually no reason to take health supplements and even then it should be after consulting a GP if you are taking medication for any other purpose.

T

tweety

Vitamins and Supplements

Many sellers of Vitamins and Supplements make claims or implied claims about the benefits, for instance if you look on this site you will see that their adverts says 'Cheer Up' when referring to St. John Wort.

Personally I have not reverted to these methods for my anxiety attacks, and had a period on prescribed medication, although I'd rather not be on drugs, so I am will to give alternatives a go.

Regarding healthy diet, I do know that, personally, I can shift a cold or flu with large doses of Vitamin C - bigger doses than I could manage to eat in oranges, so I do keep Vit C in the cupboard:)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tweety

Sorry :cry: - the text they use is "Cheer up with ‘Hypericin’ – the pigment and powerful therapeutic ingredient found in this humble herb"

P

patriciaryan

Depression has much more complex causes. I am in agreement with a healthy diet and supplements but these will not work on their own with severe enduring mental health conditions much as I wish they did.
I agree. I also do Byron Katie's 'the work' - it's amazing for self - dialoguing.
But I have really felt a difference since taking a multivitamin and its higher in b vitamins and iron that the average one and I've noticed a huge improvement in the noise level in my head! I'm wondering if this might be having an impact. But I do agree, sorting out both your mind and body is important.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

My pdoc has recently prescribed Omega 3 in conjunction with my existing cocktail of other drugs, no improvement after a month though.

T

TheFinalShowdown

sweetmaisie

It is necessary to eat food that contains the essential vitamins and minerals. If we are not eating a proper diet, i.e. of a great amount of different foods, the taking supplements bought from a pharmacy would be good for us. If you're not sure which ones to buy, go for the multivitamins with iron, or just multivitamins if you eat enough meat. Reading a book which lists all the vitamins and minerals can be useful.

jessiejiang1

As already said, St. Johns Wort Extract has a label on it that says you must seek Gp's advice before taking it if you are on prescribed medication. My Gp had no knowledge of it, so I took the advice of the pharmacist, which was to not take it. It would be good, I think, if the nhs would facilitate it for many people to come off of anti-depressant drugs that are not helping them and to go on to St John's Wort extract and other natural remedies.

tweety

Massive doses of Vitamin C can indeed get you over a heavy cold within days, and the more so if you also take massive doses of zinc. The latter is said to purify the blood, and bugs of all kinds including stomache ones cannot survive when zinc is present. When I have come down with a really bad cold and sore throat, these two in combination along with some magnesium (iron is the only thing that ought to be taken only as a small dose), it has cleared up the cold and sore throat in about two days. I was feeling better later the same day. However the last time I had one after boasting about it it required strong antibiotics from the doctor. It is probable that a daily dose of Vitamin C and of Zinc, as is contained the latter in trace amounts in multivitamins, will steer away the cold and sore throat virus. I would myself take 1000 mg of each if a heavy cold started coming on. I also find First Defence helpful, which is a nasal spray, and the Ultrachlorasceptic throat spray, with which you have to hit the spot. I also found a certain type of Swiss herb sweets from the pharmacy cleared up a sore throat, but they are no longer on sale.

Last edited:
P

pandora106

There is a theory that states, people with mental dissorders including depression lack the ability to absorb nutrients. The lack of nutrients causes the brain to function improperly. By feeding certain nutrients in high dosess, the body will start to repair it's nueropathways. Some nutrients include vitamen A, C, D, E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, some B's and others.