• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Natural remedies?

megirl

megirl

Just wondering if anyone with bipolar 2 has tried dealing with their symptoms with natural therapies and what their experiences were?
I decided to go off my meds nine days ago I was on risperidone, quetiapine, metazipine and eplilim. I am still taking the anti-depressant venlafaxine.
Currently I am out of severe depression to getting a bit manic which I am enjoying. I have just started on a B-vitamin stress formula and a calcium/magnesium supplement which I am hoping helps. I could no longer live like a zombie I was having constant suicidal thoughts which my psych Doc wasnt interested in hearing about. I have not told the psych team about my current regime as I dont think they would agree (funny that?) I felt that they had given up on me but now I have taken control and have given up on them and 'experimenting' so wondering what others have tried and if it has helped (or not?)

lulubelle

lulubelle

Hi megirl!

I was I extremely reluctant to try any sort of medication and only agreed to a very low dose of seroquel- 100mgs an evening. I have always strongly disagreed with meds- I think they are much to quick to dish them out and my pdoc said that I must try some to get myself "stable".

They do seem to have brought me out of the deep depression that I was in. I did look instantly after dianoses at the "natural" ways I could maybe try. I take Omega supplements, b vitamins, zinc, vit c. I struggle to eat properly but what I do eat is healthy, whole grains, fish and chicken, fresh veg and fruit mainly, I also juice fruit and veg. I struggle to leave the house somedays but make sure that an important part of my routine is a half hour walk. Not everything always goes to plan tho, but its early days.

Its only been a fortnight, i'm a bit manic but also enjoying it, even tho I know I shouldn't be. i'm making big decisions and just have to pray that it's good choices i'm making and not just my stupid mind telling me to do it!- i dread having any increase to my meds as I feel so rough from the small dose I am on. Its all a bit confusing, the pills have obvioulsy had a positive affect on me the past few weeks but the side effects can be awful.

Wishing you luck! xx

S

Sandy

Natural Remedies do help. I take an extra high strength of Cod liver Oil (High Omega) A multi-vitamin supplement and B12. Selenium tablets helps really well too. It reduces anxiety and lifts moods. Also Ecinachea...hepls build the immune system which boosts overall health.

W

warriorprincess

i have just wondered myself if maybe acupuncture may be something worth trying... I have had it in the past for physical ailments and it's worked a treat and I remember seeing they can help with the mind too. worth looking into maybe? let me know what you think...

megirl

megirl

Thanks rasselas good sites. I am starting on some herbal meds now after going cold turkey off my psych meds its day 11 now. I am doing well although not sleeping at all however hoping that will sort itself.
I havnt told the psych team about what I have done I am out to prove myself that I can do it my way!!!
Warriorprincess I agree anything is worth a try and acupuncture can do some marvellous things it definitely would be worth looking in to, I may have a ring around tomorrow and see what people have to offer

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Bipolar Forum 6