• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Narcissistic support resources?

G

GeorgeSmith

Hi all,

my journey through my mental health issues continues (luckily with some help in therapy).

Does anyone have some support recommendations for people with narcissism and narcissistic traits? I haven’t been properly diagnosed but I hit a few of the check points.

Im looking for anything - YouTube channels, podcasts, blogs. Nearly everything I have come across is regarding victims in narcissistic relationships, and while theyare helpful, I need some help from a different view (not to mention the youtube comments are pretty gutting).

Any help would be appreciated.

Z

Zoe1

hi George

im not diagnosed either with narcissism
but I would say I have some traits from what I've read
I'm aware of a struggle between the ego and the real self
the real self wants to ' connect ' with others
rather than lording it over them

group therapy has been a big help leading to a sense of unity
and I struggle with it when I paint
between enjoying the paint and the design and colours
to thoughts like ' what will my dad think of this ' !

my dad actually has helped a bit with this
by recently becoming more distant from me !

course you may need professional help
but it might help you to write it all down first
so that you know what you want from them

Crazyswede

Crazyswede

I cannot help with recommendations regarding professional help. Sam Vaknin is a diagnosed narcissist and has various online youtube videos in which he tries to provide an insight into narcissism. You might find those helpful.

G

GeorgeSmith

Thank you for the YouTube recommendation. I am getting professional help, but there’s 36 years worth of life to unpack in bi-weekly 1 hour sessions so articles and videos are helping a lot.

I cannot help with recommendations regarding professional help. Sam Vaknin is a diagnosed narcissist and has various online youtube videos in which he tries to provide an insight into narcissism. You might find those helpful.

Crazyswede

Crazyswede

I should also point out that he is one of the few narcissists who admit to being one! Generally speaking, narcissistic people don’t believe there is anything amiss with them. If you are wondering whether you are one, then maybe you are not ( although you may have leaning towards that personality type).
We all have a certain amount of healthy narcissism ( self preservation for example), and humans are born with all of those traits when you come to think if it. If you are a baby and you scream, someone will attend to your every need! However, most people mature emotionally as we learn from our caregivers, and learn empathy.
You have no doubt read that a lot of narcissistic people have had their emotional development stunted in some way ( usually trauma), and so they proceed to adulthood physically, but with emotions which are not fully developed.

G

GeorgeSmith

Yes. I’ve had three therapists/social works over the last three months tell me the same thing: “you’re here, so you’re likely not a total narcissist”. There is an alarming lack of empathy I have, but maybe I’m just an asshole?

Z

Zoe1

thats terrible. if someone says they feel a bit narcissstic
and want help with it , that should be taken seriously !

G

GeorgeSmith

I believe the message is that “you can’t be a complete narcissist because narcissists don’t acknowledge anything is wrong”. Not making excuses but that’s the vibe I get which is a little relieving that there’s hope.

Crazyswede

Crazyswede

I believe the message is that “you can’t be a complete narcissist because narcissists don’t acknowledge anything is wrong”. Not making excuses but that’s the vibe I get which is a little relieving that there’s hope.
That is exactly what I meant. My post was fully intended to be a helpful one, and I wholeheartedly agree that someone seeking professional help should be taken 100% seriously. I was making the point that an out and out total narcissistic person would be less likely to seek help, if at all, because they would not believe they had a problem. My message was intended as George said, as one of hope.

please accept my apologies if my words were poorly chosen.

Crazyswede

Crazyswede

see my reply ( immediately above )
sorry if I did not explain myself fully or properly

Crazyswede

Crazyswede

Yes. I’ve had three therapists/social works over the last three months tell me the same thing: “you’re here, so you’re likely not a total narcissist”. There is an alarming lack of empathy I have, but maybe I’m just an asshole?
The interesting thing is that you know you are missing / or have decreased empathy when comparing yourself to others. This demonstrates that you appear to understand empathy. It is my understanding that a complete narc would not realise this concept, in order to know they didn’t have it.
Maybe something in your past has caused you to internalise your emotions as a form of self defence, and as you matured, you have kind of remained in that place. Perhaps some sort of regression therapy might help you uncover what might have caused this, unless you already know of course. Maybe if you can begin to understand and recover from this, your emotional growth / recovery will follow.

Or..... you could just be an asshole ;) ( intended as a friendly joke)