• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Narcissistic personality disorder

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I have a 19 year old son who i believe has a narcissistic personality disorder which is reeking havoc on our family. He has ADHD also. I have always had problems with him right from age 3 and it has just got worse as the years go on. He lies 24/7 i don't think he would know the truth if it bit him on the bum. He has no emperthy for anyone at all regardless it is all about him. He sees himself as something special and puts down everyone around him so is unable to keep friends because he has to be one better than them and lets them know it. He has always had a very short temper which led to him being very violent towards me and his younger sister and i had to throw him out 3 times. His father has thrown him out 3 times and his grandparents twice. He is now in special accommodation for young people with mental health problems where he has started had problems with the people he shares with. He reckons they are all looney and he is the only sane one there. Complaints are coming in thick and fast about him and if he does not knuckle down they are going to chuck him out. I am at my wits end with him. He is at college but that is going down the pan cos he is hardly ever there and when he is he is arguing with the teachers because he thinks that he knows better than them how to teach. They have given him a written warning and i can't see him lasting until july and he has another year to go yet. I have been very unwell since nov 08 and my daughter is currently living with grandparents but all this stress with my son is not helping me recover. I feel like i should be helping him but i just can't be doing with all the drama anymore. The whole family have had enough of him and i can see his life going nowhere as he is unable to relate to people, all he does is put their backs up and get chucked out(chucked out of 2 colleges so far and 2 work experience placements all due to his attitude of he knows best and if you try and put him right he loses his rag and gets very confrontational)
Does this sound like a narcissistic personaity and is there any hope for him? Sorry it is so long, but i feel better for getting it out.

D

Dollit

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is one of the rarest personality disorders and not easy to diagnose. No one on here is qualified to make a diagnosis and if they were certainly wouldn't without a seeing someone face to face.

If your son is living in a place for young people with mental health problems then there must have been some sort of diagnosis for him to be given a place there so whatever that diagnosis was is probably the most logical place to start.

As he is 19 he's not your responsibility in a legal sense as he's an adult and I do know that's easier to say than it is to accept.

You do need to talk to a mental health professional about your concerns for him, we can support you here but we can't give you a medical opinion.