• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Narcissism, no friends

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
How do I cure Narcissism? Is it even curable? I feel like I don’t have much friends because I’m a narcissist but I can’t help it. I been meditating and practicing how to put myself in other people’s shoes but I feel like there are so much things wrong with me (health problems wise) that I can’t help but be self centered and make it all about me. I feel like because I have no friends and not a lot of people like me it makes my narcissism worse because my ego has to compensate in order to make myself feel better but that in turn causes less people to like me so it’s like a self defeating cycle if that makes sense. How do I stop being a narcissist? I can’t afford therapy at the moment I am dirt poor

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My only friend suspects I’m a narcissist and even he keeps his distance even tho we are living under the same roof. I realllt want to change

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

How does your narcissism manifest in relation to others?

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
How does your narcissism manifest in relation to others?
I put my needs before others and struggle to recognize the needs and emotions of others. I have an overinflated ego which makes me come off as arrogant to others. I brag about my achievements to others and I like to put others down to boost my own ego. When I’m feeling insecure I put others down to make them feel insecure instead so I would feel better about myself. I enjoy constant admiration from others. Pretty much text book narcissism. Oh and I sometimes manipulate and exploit others to get what I want while disregarding how it will affect them. I’m a pretty shitty person :/ trying to change all that tho.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

I put my needs before others and struggle to recognize the needs and emotions of others. I have an overinflated ego which makes me come off as arrogant to others. I brag about my achievements to others and I like to put others down to boost my own ego. When I’m feeling insecure I put others down to make them feel insecure instead so I would feel better about myself. I enjoy constant admiration from others. Pretty much text book narcissism. Oh and I sometimes manipulate and exploit others to get what I want while disregarding how it will affect them. I’m a pretty shitty person :/ trying to change all that tho.
Think the pretty standard response from a therapist would be to try to work on building your own self esteem and sense of self worth up, before tackling how to interact better with others.
Work from inside first.
I don’t know you, so I can’t speculate and give advice on exactly how to achieve that though.
But I hear you at least.

Keesha

Keesha

Don’t be so hard on yourself. At least you have self awareness and a desire to change. Most narcissists don’t recognize their narcissism or don’t care.

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Think the pretty standard response from a therapist would be to try to work on building your own self esteem and sense of self worth up, before tackling how to interact better with others.
Work from inside first.
I don’t know you, so I can’t speculate and give advice on exactly how to achieve that though.
But I hear you at least.
That makes a lot of sense. Only reason I’m behaving this way is because I have worth issues. Probably had a lot to do with my abusive father and family while growing up. Even if I try and only change my behavior it will just come off as fake since I’m not dealing with the worth issue. Thanks

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Don’t be so hard on yourself. At least you have self awareness and a desire to change. Most narcissists don’t recognize their narcissism or don’t care.
I feel like I have to be hard on myself because my personality pushes people away. If I don’t push myself to change I will be living a very lonely life. Tired of being alone.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

I feel like I have to be hard on myself because my personality pushes people away. If I don’t push myself to change I will be living a very lonely life. Tired of being alone.
At least you’re here. You’re talkin about it. Think it’s a very positive step for you.
Opening up and sharing is a very good way to start viewing yourself in a better way.

H

Hachi

Hi, I'm new here...

I don't like to pathologize behaviors and I guess If you google Narcissism you will feel like you fit the category like a glove. But before labeling yourself, I would recommend you to try to understand you selfsteem. Sometimes people have so much trouble with selfsteem that they can't think of anything else and then you are going to feel that everything that sucks around you is because of you.

There are a lot of things that can be happening to you that is not necessary narcissism, look, I'm not saying that you are not, like I said, I'm new here, but don't label yourself and let it drag you. A lot of things can be happening underneath the surface of what people see, and, what they do, they cleary don't like it so a change is in need, yeah. But try to go deeper, ask yourself when this started, reach your family (if you can) and try to understand the kind of relationship you guys had, think about school how was it for you and most of all think about yourself, try to keep a journal: when the bad behavior happened, what you thought about it, try to think what trigged it and how you felt.

Kind regards,

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
At least you’re here. You’re talkin about it. Think it’s a very positive step for you.
Opening up and sharing is a very good way to start viewing yourself in a better way.
Yeah you’re right. At first I was ashamed of talking about my narcissism and admitting I have it but I do feel a little better talking about it. Ty

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi, I'm new here...

I don't like to pathologize behaviors and I guess If you google Narcissism you will feel like you fit the category like a glove. But before labeling yourself, I would recommend you to try to understand you selfsteem. Sometimes people have so much trouble with selfsteem that they can't think of anything else and then you are going to feel that everything that sucks around you is because of you.

There are a lot of things that can be happening to you that is not necessary narcissism, look, I'm not saying that you are not, like I said, I'm new here, but don't label yourself and let it drag you. A lot of things can be happening underneath the surface of what people see, and, what they do, they cleary don't like it so a change is in need, yeah. But try to go deeper, ask yourself when this started, reach your family (if you can) and try to understand the kind of relationship you guys had, think about school how was it for you and most of all think about yourself, try to keep a journal: when the bad behavior happened, what you thought about it, try to think what trigged it and how you felt.

Kind regards,
To be honest I don’t remember when this started. I noticed it when I was 19 years old when my older brother started suspecting that I was one. I’ll try to figure out what triggers these behaviors. I’m pretty sure it’s triggered by feelings of insecurity and worthlessness but I’m not sure what causes me to feel those feelings.

Keesha

Keesha

Maybe I’m way off but from my own personal experience, I find many people with mental disorders to be a bit more narcissistic than average. If you have problems with thought processes then you are probably constantly second guessing all your thoughts and actions and putting them under scrutiny yet a true narcissist doesn’t care.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to self diagnose or label yourself as anything. It’s not a healthy thing to do.

Keesha

Keesha

Yes I understand that you want to change but that doesn’t HAVE to involve self criticism. Self awareness? Yes! There’s certainly a distinction between the two.

H

Hachi

Yes I understand that you want to change but that doesn’t HAVE to involve self criticism. Self awareness? Yes! There’s certainly a distinction between the two.
Super agree... star by making a foundation to youself, working on your inner critic (this is the worst), on avarage nobody is as harsh as ourselfs...tracking when you start second guessing yourself and trying to figure out the patterns...like, take care of you first, the change will come with the process

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Personality Disorders Forum 8
K Personality Disorders Forum 4