• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Narcisisstic Avoidant

L

Laura 18

Hi guys, I'm new.
As you can see the two words in the title contradict each other massively - I have a disorder where my thinking pattern is distorted and one day I'll behave in a narcissistic and histrionic way, and the next I have a crippilingly avoidant personality. Its very confusing. I suspected I had some kind of personality thing for a while so i went to see a doctor who just confirmed it. I have a great counselor at college but my family don't even know, they just think I am weird and antisocial. How can I make them understand?
Thanks x

Last edited:
Jonwal

Jonwal

Maybe u learned it from ur family. I dont know everyone has something wrong. Just say look guys i am this and this coz of this and the hope for best i try talking but its difficult. I feel narcissitic and avoident of outside world and its bloody shit i wish i could find a middle ground.

nonotme

nonotme

what is Narcisisstic ?

Jonwal

Jonwal

what is Narcisisstic ?
I think its where u are weary of others or u are abit mean. Like ppl with lots of money they say r often narcissitic. Like where u are the boss i think

nonotme

nonotme

Nikita said:
hate socializing and hate other people,they are always comparing themselves to others criticizing others and finding reasons to reject them,they are said to be incapable of love,if they enter into relationships it is for what they can get from the other person and how useful they are to them.
hmm sounds like I have some Narcisisstic traits but I do care and I can love and I do get hurt... can you be a semi-Narcissist ?

Jonwal

Jonwal

Katie hopkins u could say falls into that catergory

pepecat

pepecat

'Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes. The term originated from the Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water.'

'Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a Cluster B personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process. It is estimated that this condition affects one percent of the population, with rates greater for men. First formulated in 1968, NPD was historically called megalomania, and is a form of severe egocentrism.'

BillFish

BillFish

'Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes. The term originated from the Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water.'

'Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a Cluster B personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process. It is estimated that this condition affects one percent of the population, with rates greater for men. First formulated in 1968, NPD was historically called megalomania, and is a form of severe egocentrism.'
Why do we have to have posh labels backed up by the intelligentsia for everything ?
Narcissistic avoidant sounds like somebody being a complete twat to me, although I don't think twat is in the dsm? Personally I don't think we should adhere to the DSM at all, and instead reference the banter from a working mans club on a Friday night, it would be much more accurate :LOL:

L

Laura 18

Sorry, as I say I'm new and I just used words that have been thrown my way by doctors, counsellors, etc. to try and give some perspective about what my traits are, I don't agree with labelling and it doesn't bother me what I am or what anyone thinks I am, I am just looking for advice from real people instead of professionals? Thought people would be more understanding :sorry:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Yea - it's primarily an ego problem - a lot of mental health conditions i think involve various ego issues.