Myths about BPD:

amathus

amathus

Borderline Disorder Does Not Respond Well to Treatment

Borderline Personality Disorder is Not a Valid Psychiatric Diagnosis

Almost Everyone Who Has Borderline Disorder is a Woman

Borderline Disorder Cannot be Diagnosed Accurately Before Age Eighteen

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is the Psychotherapy of Choice in Borderline Disorder

It is Disruptive to Include Families in the Treatment Process of Patients With Borderline Disorder

(http://www.bpddemystified.com/what-is-bpd/myths-about-borderline-disorder/)

Last edited:
Q

Quixotic

Thanks amathus, points worth remembering. I've always found Borderline Personality Disoder a rather confusing term, not very descriptive of what's actually experienced by someone with the condition.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Thanks for this thread :)

M

modafinilguy

I'll tell you a myth.

That BPD, unlike basically every other mental illness, is NOT a biochemical brain based illness. That's a myth. It is. Of course this is my opinion.

People say "Well the medications don't work, so its psychological, only therapy will help."

The current medications, especially the SSRI's and SNRI's (antidepressants), and various other common drugs, they are too primitive to treat BPD.

I won't go off tangent, but drugs that treat BPD are coming, indeed they are most likely already here, but unfortunately not enough funding has been allocated so that enough "evidence" can be obtained that the medicines can be "formally recommended".

Medicines will not cure BPD, but most certainly in the future they will help it.

What type of medicines? You can't predict everything in the future, but medicine that specifically agonize and antagonize various serotonin sub-receptors- this is the way the thinking is going in regards to science and the medication of emotional disorders.

Your full of it fat man, what would you know?

I'll tell you. Here is the VERY latest, ground breaking antidepressant, and believe me, I spend hours reading the research each day (major interest of mine):

Vortioxetine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at the receptors this medication effects.. Surprise Surprise it targets specific serotonin sub-receptors, antagonizing some, agonizing others.

This is the direction current thinking is going, and indeed the medicine above, anyone want to place bets?

They need to do the research so it can be official (and nobody wants to fund BPD research), but Vortioxetine WILL be found to be highly useful (not a cure) in people with BPD.

Emotional regulation is mostly due to areas of the prefrontal cortex. The receptors it targets- based on a large amount of scientific research- those receptors regulate the ability of the brain to control and block out emotion and stress via the prefrontal cortex.

Sorry to rave on. I'll leave this thread and try to remember to return in 5 years. Then you will see!

One of the biggest aspects of BPD, is over emotional reactivity, an inability to control intense and overwhelming emotional reactions, and a low stress tolerance. All of this is controlled by areas of the PFC (mostly).

S

shivvy

Interesting Modalfinalguy, I love your posts, informative and backed up by scientific evidence and research (Yours). I have been looking at Vortioxetine.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

burn-it-down

Lol if it wasn't biochemical problems and caused by a lack of serotonin, for me treating BPD patients would much easier.

Another myth, whenever you overreact it's because of your mental disorder.
I mean, yeah we do overreact and all but as for me i don't think it's always because of BPD