• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My Very Long And Worthwhile Journey With Bipolar Disorder Type One

K

KeepOnTrying

My first major depressive episode came at the age of 13. I was depressed for most of my teen years. I turned to drugs and alcohol to self medicate. Weed was my vice.

At 18 years old my mania got out of control. I required two months of hospitalization. I was put on Depakote and stayed on it. That was the first step to my recovery. Every time I stopped taking depakote I had terrible withdrawals and it re-triggered an episode.

At the age of 26 I started to abuse weed heavy. This caused my episodes to happen faster and more frequent, but I noticed that the mania was getting less, while the depression was getting worse.

Three years ago at age 30 I was very suicidal. I decided to try Ketamine Therapy as one last try. It worked very well and pulled me out of that depression. I was stable about two weeks later. It was a lifesaver.

Since then I have been on a journey of strong communication with my doctors, Ketamine Therapy, Meditation, Exercise, and proper diet. Meditation has become an increasingly powerful tool for me and it is starting to have major mood stabilizing properties. My advice is to not go overboard with it, but work it into your life daily. You will see results quickly.

Depakte 1000mgs daily, Pristique 50mgs daily, Ketamine 100mgs oral daily, Meditation Daily

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: to the forum. I too am diagnosed with bipolar disorder and know the upheavals of this condition only too well. I have heard of Ketamine therapy but never met anyone on it. HOw does it work? I tend to get more depressions than mania and they can be soul destroying. But the manic episodes are dangerous too and lead inevitably to a massive crash into suicidal depression. I am pleased you are balanced out now. I am largely too on a cocktail of meds which work for me.

K

KeepOnTrying

:welcome: to the forum. I too am diagnosed with bipolar disorder and know the upheavals of this condition only too well. I have heard of Ketamine therapy but never met anyone on it. HOw does it work? I tend to get more depressions than mania and they can be soul destroying. But the manic episodes are dangerous too and lead inevitably to a massive crash into suicidal depression. I am pleased you are balanced out now. I am largely too on a cocktail of meds which work for me.
It is very difficult to describe but I will try my best. Ketamine therapy puts you in the boxing ring with mania in a very controlled and supervised setting. Over time you learn Mania's tricks and get smarter. You can fight it better and recognize triggers better. The more Ketamine I took, the more I got a grasp on my illness. Nowadays I do not need as much ketamine and take it more on an as needed basis. Meditation is becoming my go to tool for mood stabilization. I will be taking Depakote for life.