• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My ultradian cycling bipolar disorder story

Wishbone

Wishbone

I don't know what it is but something seems off with that woman. Maybe it's just me but it feels like she's faking the illness, but that's maybe a little harsh. It just seems like too much is clear to her and I can tell you, when I went through these episodes even knowing which kind wasn't clear then or even now, not 100% anyway.
I don't know. I watched a video of hers last night and she mentioned this partner of hers and my immediate thoughts on hearing her describe all of these manic people that she saw in the hospital when he was ill was that she learned to act the part. She also described hallucinations as saying "I would see a leaf and think it was a severed hand, then I'd look away and realise it was just a leaf" or words to that effect, and again I thought, well, if that's a hallucination in her book I've had about a billion of them in my life (I haven't). Even how that link ends with her talking about anxiety makes me think she's just after a new area to write about!

Cynical definitely, wrong possibly, but it still doesn't feel right.

K

keith74

I feel she is pretty credible. She has been doing this for a long time and is pretty well regarded in the community as a credible resource.

Educating on bipolar is her full time job and how she makes a living so yes there is certainly self-promotion about her books and seminars. I am hardly an expert of bipolar so I can't validate anything but my wife follows her too and finds a lot of her analysis spot-on.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah, I'm still not feeling that one at all. Something's off (enjoyed the discussion though!)

K

keith74

I guess her style is not for everyone. I did read her book for spouses and found it helpful.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I think the problem I'm having is that she's saying a lot of the right things, but you could also say a lot of the right things from being on here and being around your wife, you could learn to say all the right things and sound like you know exactly what Bipolar is, but it's obviously different to experiencing it yourself. She also says things that don't seem to match up.

From 1:53 in this video FastByte With Julie A. Fast - International Bipolar Foundation
she speaks of being around the crazies on a ward because her boyfriend was there for three months. If ever someone was wanting to learn how to be one of us, that would be the best place for on-the-job experience! There's one small moment here that stands out; see if you can see it.

K

keith74

I find it hard to believe that she would be faking this for that long and that publicly. She has been extremely open and detailed about her experiences. But that is just my opinion. I think we hijacked this thread enough.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It makes a lot more sense if you think of her as actually displaying something like Munchausen instead though, and there seems to be a lot of that, and by proxy, popping up in various places, (or so it seems anyway).
I agree. I'll drop it now.