• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My Tips on Overcoming Pure-OCD

P

PolarBerry

Hello, I like to share my experience pure-ocd and how I've coped with it, so it can be used to help others conquer their pure-ocd. What I've learned from my pure-ocd experience was that these thoughts are in fact intrusive and not thoughts that I would like to have, act on, or be a part of me. As soon as I realized and reasoned with myself that these thoughts were not at all the person that I wanted to be I was able to reassure myself not to worry and that these thoughts were no way thoughts of mine because I would never want to be that kind of person. The kind of person I am talking about is a judgmental, conceited, arrogant, or sexually immoral.

Constantly trying to counteract the intrusive thoughts with reasonable thinking of my own allowed me to eventually realize and be more confident in who I was and who I wanted to be. Now when I have an intrusive thought I just think to myself "We already been through this countless times, there's no way I would think something like that because I am not that kind of person nor do I want to become that kind of person". The 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous helped me achieve this sense of reassurance of myself through my return to sanity by a higher power and as well as thorough and fearless introspection (which means looking into one's self thoughts and emotions).

This has worked for me and I hope will help work for others who are suffering from pure-ocd. I used to have huge anxiety panics even talking with my family at home would resort to me using large amounts of alcohol to cope with the pure-ocd. I used the alcohol to drown my thoughts away but alcohol only worked for that one night then the next day I woke up depressed, hungover, and the intrusive thoughts still remained. The pure-ocd got so bad I even tried committing suicide through overdose, which hurt so much that I am afraid to commit suicide ever again along with all the risky complications that could go wrong with a suicide attempt. I hope my experience can help others as well as help myself back to complete health, E-mail me if you have any questions or comments. I recovered form the comfort of my own home, but that was only because I was incapable of seeking treatment because of how bad my anxiety attacks would be in social situations, I hope sharing my experience helps reach out to others like me who can't attend group meetings for their pure-ocd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Thanks so much for sharing this. I hope others on here will read your post. So many people have intrusive thoughts. The way you describe dealing with them is helpful.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Quick tips for overcoming obsessions? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Tips for living with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A RETROACTIVE JEALOUSY OCD CHAT [YOUR STORIES, TIPS, INFORMATIONS ETC] Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
M Anyone have tips on how to recover OCD/Anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
E Tips for dealing with ocd doubt Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
T Tips on OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
E Self help tips for ocd or anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A Any tips Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P Any tips for withstanding/resisting compulsive urges? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Religious Pure OCD, tips? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
T Looking for tips and advice on how to cope with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
N contamination ocd and i feel helpless need some tips!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Any advice for overcoming paranoid chemical contamination after maid service cleaned my house? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
P Overcoming OCD in a student dorm? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B overcoming OCD and anxiety :) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Which of the following books are best for overcoming pure O? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J My Pure O story and am I the only one? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Intrusive Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Pure o fearful thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
L New to Forum and looking for help with Pure O Contamination....life is tough Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
L Really struggling pure O getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 18
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
D Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance… Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 31
B Brutal self talk with pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
J Fluoxetine and Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
B Girlfriend with Pure OCD - Please help!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Pure OCD and problems with guilt. Sexuality problem Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
N My Pure O and sensorimotor OCD experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
OddballOut Pure-O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
B Pure O and recovery. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Double isolation with pure O and corona. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
T When will this stop? Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
D What are you supposed to do after facing Pure O fears? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B Pure ocd ruining my life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L No more pure ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Pure ocd is crippling me... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Could I Have Pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
A Pure O or am I crazy? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
W Pure 'O' OCD - a problem with moving on with a life of sorts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Need some answers on combating OCD/Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O Could I have pure O OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N How i OVERCAME pure OCD , Success Story. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O My SUCCESSFUL story of how i overcame PURE OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Pure-O about 'showing off' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P pure o Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B Pure o ocd and medication Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B pure o Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
M Pure-O OCD... Harm Obsession / Bad Intrusive Thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 13