• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My thoughts on depression:

C

Copperhouse257

I hate that mental illness is hereditary. I didn’t ask for this. My mental state isn’t where I expected to be at my current stage of life. I can’t bitch and complain, which I’d love to to do, but what good would it do? My brain is what it is. My life is the best I can do. I’m not even remotely admirable. On most days, I struggle to maintain some semblance normality. I don’t like feeling weak or fundamentally flawed, but I am. I try so hard to turn it all around, but I can’t seem to maintain my discipline. No matter how hard I try, the depression eventually takes over again and then it becomes a win to simply get out of bed and take a shower.. I’m not proud to admit to any of this. As bad as it sounds, it’s exponentially worse to live through.

My point is that no one is a “freak” or alone. Everyone is going through something.. always. When you see someone/anyone, you don’t know what they’re dealing with everyday. That should give you a pause when you want to judge them or hate them. We’re all the same. We feel pain, we have flaws, and we are all fundamentally dealing with our own human problems always. Why not try to help each other rather than trying to singularly focus on our differences.

We’re all confused, scared, lost, and searching for meaning. Why constantly separate ourselves into groups when we are all ultimately dealing with the same problems as humans. Love of family, fear of death, wanting to be better, and the utter confusion about why we’re here and what our purpose is, is all universal. Who gives a shit about black, white, man, woman, gay, or straight. We’re all just people.. Think about that.. we’re all the same and we’re all in the same crazy boat traveling thousands of miles/hour around the sun. We’re all just people and I don’t know about you, but I could use others like me to lean on. I’m not perfect.. I’m severely flawed. I’m sure a lot of us are.

We, as humans, have so much more in common than we have differences.

Please remember that. It’s very very important to remember that we’re all more alike than we are different.. I’m sure there’s millions of others out there like me that need a friend. Race, gender, or sexuality couldn’t matter less. Try asking someone how they’re doing. They may say “fine”, but spend a little time with them because they are ultimately more like you than they’re not. It’s not complicated..if you think it or have felt it, that person has too.

Life is tough enough people.. I think we all could use others to give us a hand, or maybe even just a compliment from time to time. If you need an ear, I’d gladly listen to whatever’s on your mind and I truly mean that.

M

Mistral

Life is suffering is actually what Buddhism is founded upon. I am not a Buddhist by the way.

C

Copperhouse257

I like the teachings of Buddhism and Taoism. I’ve listened to a lot of Alan Watts lectures and I respect him immensely. I’ve been reading a lot of Stoic philosophy lately and like it a lot. Ultimately, I don’t think any one is better than another. I like to incorporate bits of all into my outlook on life 🙂

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

This was a great post Copperhouse, it certainly made my day a little bit better :)

C

Copperhouse257

My point of that wasn’t to focus on the suffering of life itself. Yes, it’s true that the world is indifferent to us individually, but together it’s far easier to deal with a lot of the crap life throws at you.
I’m still working on that too. Letting people in is hard. It’s something I have to work on every day. Asking for help shouldn’t be embarrassing. I’ve noticed that when I do open up, I have more than enough support. It’s my own insecurity that I have to get past.

C

Copperhouse257

That was the best compliment you could’ve given. It feels good to know that I’m not alone 🙂

G

GeminiMoon

Hi Copperhouse,

Seeing everyone equally and interconnected is what some would call self-realization. Which is highly admirable. It's funny though how we can give others compassion that we don't always give to ourselves.

Sending you love and light
Gemini

C

Copperhouse257

I completely agree. It’s far easier for me to forgive others than to forgive myself. I think being self aware gives me the ability to understand my disease, but also gives me the tools to hide my symptoms. It’s way easier to show compassion than it is to tackle the complex jungle of my mind 😉

P

Prycejosh1987

I hate that mental illness is hereditary. I didn’t ask for this. My mental state isn’t where I expected to be at my current stage of life. I can’t bitch and complain, which I’d love to to do, but what good would it do? My brain is what it is. My life is the best I can do. I’m not even remotely admirable.
Mental illness does come from older generations. Both my mum and dad were mentally ill. Only two people are affected by mental health, my sister and i. You can be admirable and appeal to others. You cant complain but at the same time, you can do something about it. You have power to take something away from life or bring something into it.