my therapist's employer won't give her permission to see me at her private practice at a discount rate

E

eMGeeGee

my therapist's employer won't give her permission to see me at her private practice at a discount rate

my therapist's employer won't give her permission to see me at her private practice at a discount rate. In order to afford the next 6 months or more, I really need to discount my therapy.

I expect the next 6 months to be quite challenging, so it's definitely not time to move on just yet. The alternatives they offered were to see a trainee at a discount rate, or nothing. Not even a gesture of a discount as an acknowledgement of the bread and butter nature of my time with them there (they used to do block booking discount for 10 sessions).

It's been 2 years of building a working relationship of trust and understanding, and now someone in the office has responded to my carefully worded request through my therapist, in my therapy session, with a straight "no". Alongside this she repeated some vague allusion to this being a good opportunity to work with therapeutically, which I find frankly insulting when they are making the decision purely from a business perspective. I can dress any experience up as an opportunity for therapy.

I don't want to rant, and I have a lot more to say beyond this post - But I'm posting because I'm considering attempting to force their hand with a strongly worded complaint and a termination of their services. Which leaves my therapeutic relationship in limbo. I expect it to be very painful, and don't want to worry my therapist, but I feel so strongly about this... I would like to see at least a gesture from the centre, or more preferably, a recognition that it makes no difference to them anyway if they give her permission to see me in her private practice, but it makes the world of difference to me and siginificant difference to their employee.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

my therapist's employer won't give her permission to see me at her private practice at a discount rate. In order to afford the next 6 months or more, I really need to discount my therapy.

I expect the next 6 months to be quite challenging, so it's definitely not time to move on just yet. The alternatives they offered were to see a trainee at a discount rate, or nothing. Not even a gesture of a discount as an acknowledgement of the bread and butter nature of my time with them there (they used to do block booking discount for 10 sessions).

It's been 2 years of building a working relationship of trust and understanding, and now someone in the office has responded to my carefully worded request through my therapist, in my therapy session, with a straight "no". Alongside this she repeated some vague allusion to this being a good opportunity to work with therapeutically, which I find frankly insulting when they are making the decision purely from a business perspective. I can dress any experience up as an opportunity for therapy.

I don't want to rant, and I have a lot more to say beyond this post - But I'm posting because I'm considering attempting to force their hand with a strongly worded complaint and a termination of their services. Which leaves my therapeutic relationship in limbo. I expect it to be very painful, and don't want to worry my therapist, but I feel so strongly about this... I would like to see at least a gesture from the centre, or more preferably, a recognition that it makes no difference to them anyway if they give her permission to see me in her private practice, but it makes the world of difference to me and siginificant difference to their employee.
Is it here I point out the Therapist him/herself is Highly Mobile and could quite easily do a home visit.

All they need to do their jobs is a pencil and paper!

But no...us MI folk have to wait till Opening Hours...no ER for us...:(

E

eMGeeGee

yeah, there are any number of ways to continue a therapeutic relationship/service.

One of the things that has infuriated me so is that this relationship has become very important to me. My therapist was the person I first confided all of my fears and symptoms, before I even knew the vocubulary to describe them. Yet the relationship is at the mercy of the management of a business institution. Even if my therapist is happy to see me at half the rate they charge, that can only work with their say so. Can they not see that it's best for all parties to allow that if requested as a special case?

Does anyone have any legal advice about this? It's in my therapists contract not to be able to see any of her clients from the centre outside/privately, but there must be a work around if the centre don't agree on a whim.

Alternatively I have considered just writing an email to her once a week during the hour that my session is normally, and she can decide how she might respond to that if at all. At least that way the therapeutic relationship doesn't get totally thrown out with the baby and the bathwater ;)