• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My therapist told me I don't have BPD but...

E

ElijaJank

I'm a 20 year old woman who had been struggling mentally ever since I can remember.
At 17 I started self harming because I lost the capability to control my anger and sadness and my black and white thinking was even worse.
That same year I started going to therapy, but my therapist was a very old lady who didn't really help me much. She actually retired pretty soon after I started. So I stopped going and then at 18/19 I started therapy again. My new therapist was a man and he often made me feel uncomfortable, but then again I'm a sensitive person who feels uncomfortable around men in general.
One day I revealed to him that I self harm. That I'm often reckless. And since I go to social studies where I study psychology I'm aware of BPD so I thought I had it. But he told me not to worry and said I didn't have BPD because 1. I don't go and sleep around with random people and 2. I don't drive recklessly. I thought it was strange that he thinks it's not BPD just because I don't have these two particular behaviours. And I don't even have a drivers licence so the latter is basically impossible to do eitherway. Anyways, all the other things that often appear in BPD patients like drinking alcohol everytime they get a mental breakdown or being overly sensitive and unstable are very true to me. I constantly do reckless things when I'm hurt or mad. If I'm sad it's always the rockbottom. There's no inbetween. One time a man I used to talk to decided to block me out of the blue when I didn't even bother him. I started hating and blaming myself. I thought it was my fault and freaked out. My thinking turned completely black. And this happened at midnight so I left my house and ran outside. I ran into a dark and foggy forest crying, not realizing that I shouldn't be in the forest so late. I didn't realize anything because I could only feel intense sadness and pain. I walked on a barely lit up treadmill and spoke loudly (it helps me cope) and then realized there was some man walking in front of me. I got quiet and as soon as I passed him I started running thinking he might turn around and chase me. That's when it hit me that I was acting really impulsive and reckless and was risking my own life. I ran back home crying even more because I could've died that day. When I came back home I sat in my bedroom and kept thinking about the same thing over and over until I hated myself even more. I started thinking that the man who blocked me knows I'm crazy even though I never showed him how I reacted when he did something like this. That night I almost killed myself. But I waited out till the morning to make my decision. In the morning I wasn't suicidal anymore and I couldn't understand why I reacted so intensely. I actually always think I would deal with something calmly, but once it happens I turn into a demon. A demon that destructs themselves and thinks everyone hates them.
My reactions to pain are impulsive and self destructive. Everytime I'm hurt I run outside like a maniac, harm myself, drink or beat myself up in other ways. Sometimes I post some depressive quote on social media but it happens very rarely because I'm so aware of BPD and black and white thinking that I am capable of enduring the pain quietly and reminding myself even during the mental breakdown that I'll regret posting something that affected my reputation. Since I care so much about having people in my life my reputation is everything to me and on the times I did post crazy things I thought I completely lost myself. I was at my worst.
I know something like a block shouldn't hurt so much. But to me it's the end of the world. Fear of abandonment is really and issue to me, but so far I'm still not diagnosed.

P

Purpleplum

You could have some qualities of a disorder but not meet all of the criteria for the disorder which would not lead to a diagnosis of it.

E

Elisante

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ιt is a given that by studying psychology you will identify with a lot of the disorders.

I don't know much about bpd, but have you thought about getting a second opinion from another therapist?

E

ElijaJank

Ιt is a given that by studying psychology you will identify with a lot of the disorders.

I don't know much about bpd, but have you thought about getting a second opinion from another therapist?
I have thought of asking another therapist, but I myself doubt if I have bpd so I feel like it's not worth to pay money and hear the same things.

The thing is I'm ok until something that has to do with abandonment happens. Then like I already said, it feels as if it was end of the world. I become suicidal over such little things, like being ghosted. None of the young people I know act like me.
Now I think that maybe I just have PTSD and that's where abandonment issues come from. But I know that there's definitely something wrong.

N

Nukelavee

1. I don't go and sleep around with random people and 2. I don't drive recklessly.
Those aren't exactly core traits. I don't know if you have BPD, but you should try to find another doctor to get a different opinion.

G

Girl interupted

Regardless of whether you have BPD or not, you need to find a therapist that you feel comfortable with -- one that you can talk about the things that take your courage.

It's been my experience that the only way out of the chaos of BPD is through -- you need to deal with your traumas in order to move past them.

You can't do that with someone you don't trust.

Don't focus on the disorder/diagnosis, focus instead on what you are feeling, and do the hard work in therapy to identify and understand why you are the way you are.