• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My therapist is leaving

Nooma42

Nooma42

Since October I've been seeing a behavioural therapist every week for CBT. Of all the therapists I've ever had she has been the best, I think because she's the same age as me and we get on so well.

Yesterday at our meeting she told me she was moving to a new job and that I would be getting a replacement in a few weeks. I'm totally gutted. It's the most weirdest feeling too. I know that she's there as a therapist and thats what our relationship is. However, obvioulsy because of the nature of the treatment my relationship with her is more personal than some of my family. I've told her things I've never told another human being, not even my psychiatrist.
During my treatment with her she's become someone I have come to reply on for extra support. I only see my psychiatrist every 3 months or so. So when I had contact every week with her I was able to talk through issues I was having. We seemed to build up great trust in such a short space of time.

Now I'm getting someone new in a few weeks. I don't know how I feel about it. I think I'm more gutted that I wont get to see my current therapist again. I like her, as a friend. Yeah I know thats not what the relationship is, but I think its impossible not to get some kind of connection with someone you actually like and get along with. Especially as she is the same age as myself. I'm not a robot.

I'm not sure how I'm going to continue my treatment with someone I dont know. I've progressed quite far, but thats only because I learned to trust my current therapist. I feel a bit hopeless now.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey, I have to say I would feel gutted too, as like you I tell my therapist more than I tell anyone else and there has to be some kind of build up of a relationship as you say, you are not a robot.

I hope that things go well with your new therapist, you may find you get along with her/him just as well, I guess you will miss the other therapist though.

I would miss mine too

KS

sallyG

sallyG

I missed my therapist so much when my therapy ended..but we do keep in touch by text messaging every now and then..occasionally i will text her to tell her things are and she always sounds pleased to hear from me.

i hope you can build up another good relationship with your new therapist..i suppose you just have to go into it with an open mind.
good luck and i totally understand the way you are feeling.

P

Perspective

Something that my previous counselor did when she found out she was leaving is having my new counselor sit in for some of our meetings. It helped me not feel like I was eing "left/abandoned completely". It also gave me a chance to get to know my new counselor a little before my previous one left. It was one of the hardest things I've dealt with when I found out she was leaving, I met with her since the end of September and told her so many things that I haven't told other people.