• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My therapist ended our sessions cause I told her I wanted to do ACT for my OCD

T

Turquoise123

Hi,

I have been seeing a talk therapist for over half a year now and so far it's been helpful but slow. I recently discovered I had OCD (although I had had intrusive thoughts for many years, I came to terms with it recently), and last week I had an peak of anxiety over this issue. I started reading that psychodynamic therapy is not good for OCD so I contact IACT (UK public mental health provider) to start a CBT/ERP/ACT therapy (I need to see what they say) to deal with my OCD.

When I told her I guess she was taken aback a little but understood the reasoning. I told her about me having intrusive thoughts but we never talked about them extensively as I am still very self-concious about it. I told her I was thinking about doing both as I want to address different issues (with her more long-term issues) but she told me this isn't possible and she made it clear that that was going to be our last session.

The thing is: I haven't started CBT therapy for OCD and if there's any other Brits here, you will know that this may take months to happen. I just don't know how to feel about the fact that she "cut off" our therapy because I told her I wanted to address this issue separately and it makes me feel guilty. Should I have not told her until it happened? I started panicking when I read online that psychodynamic therapy can actually be more harmful so I did not want to address my OCD with her really, but there is other issues that I feel I could talk with her in the meantime...

Is her response normal?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think she should have seen you until you started your new therapy.

I think it is normal for only one therapy to be done at one time.

You could call and ask her about her decision. I would ask.

I

itsmeagain

Hi,

I have been seeing a talk therapist for over half a year now and so far it's been helpful but slow. I recently discovered I had OCD (although I had had intrusive thoughts for many years, I came to terms with it recently), and last week I had an peak of anxiety over this issue. I started reading that psychodynamic therapy is not good for OCD so I contact IACT (UK public mental health provider) to start a CBT/ERP/ACT therapy (I need to see what they say) to deal with my OCD.

When I told her I guess she was taken aback a little but understood the reasoning. I told her about me having intrusive thoughts but we never talked about them extensively as I am still very self-concious about it. I told her I was thinking about doing both as I want to address different issues (with her more long-term issues) but she told me this isn't possible and she made it clear that that was going to be our last session.

The thing is: I haven't started CBT therapy for OCD and if there's any other Brits here, you will know that this may take months to happen. I just don't know how to feel about the fact that she "cut off" our therapy because I told her I wanted to address this issue separately and it makes me feel guilty. Should I have not told her until it happened? I started panicking when I read online that psychodynamic therapy can actually be more harmful so I did not want to address my OCD with her really, but there is other issues that I feel I could talk with her in the meantime...

Is her response normal?
I was told by a therapist in 2018 that if I want 'you can go for your fucking CBT against my advice.'
Just appalling conduct.

I

itsmeagain

I reported her but asked them to speak to her without the possibility of a major disciplinary.
Couldn't face the prospect of having to oppose her vile views over again.

J

Jolly

A therapist is supposed to work with you and also other professionals. My therapist is brilliant and works with me depending on how I feel on the day I see her. I am so sorry that has happened to you x

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

My therapist is great. He had some outpatient surgery done one time, but offered to do our session later in the day, if needed. I told him not to worry, we could follow up the next week. That type of dedication is really comforting.

I

itsmeagain

A therapist is supposed to work with you and also other professionals. My therapist is brilliant and works with me depending on how I feel on the day I see her. I am so sorry that has happened to you x
Thanks.
It hardly helps you to trust the profession of counsellor or therapist. She also told me 'your reaction to the assault from that man was because you and I are the same. Both very damaged.' Oddball.
Works for an NHS Trust would you believe??

I

itsmeagain

I work for the same Trust as she does and all contact I have had with staff support has been crap. I see a lot of sadness in my job, much trauma, bullying, depression, delusional beliefs, violence, etc. I have a rather humane and probably humanistic outlook. As a result the failings of the system, or shit stem as Peter Tosh would have called it, hurt.
Imagine my feelings when, after a few desultory sessions to talk about dealing with my manager in 2015, the counsellor said bye and pounded upstairs to the room above, and told a colleague, audible to me below, 'yes another one completed. Yaayy.'
Human, yes. Pathetic, yes.

P

Purpleplum

I'm not surprised. Some of them act like babies and do things like this. It's best not to let them know what you're doing...even when the other therapy starts. Don't let them dictate things...remember it's YOU'RE life and do what you think is good for you.

There's not much you can do with her gone now but wait for the other therapy to start. Where you live it would probably take a long time to get a new talk therapist. But now you know what to do for the next time: don't tell them everything.