• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

my strange habit - or addiction?

• Thread starter dontknowwhattodowithoutyou
  • Start date
dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

Hey all!

I suffer from OCD, so I don't know if this is a compulsion of mine (I don't think so) or if I am addicted. Or if it is a maladaptive habit going too far?
I know this might sound weird or funny, but I'm serious. :( I also don't mean to make fun of anyone who might have addictions.

So, since I was a teen I loved my hair dryer. My sister was the same. We both had cosy memories of our mom bathing us and afterwards using the hair dryer.
So we both started to dry our hair (actually not even the hair but the body) a bit more often during our teens. I don't know if my sister still does it but she still loves the sound and warmth.

When I moved out, I also got a hair dryer. Actually my parents insisted on me having one. I used pretty often, also as my room was super cold and sometimes the heating system didn't work. I have never slept with it (like the woman in the TV series my strange addiction haha) or burnt myself or any other way of harm has been done. The electricity bills increased a bit of course, but I was willing and able to pay them.
I don't know. I sometimes really like the sound only and don't care about the warmth, so I put it off. It's not like I'm thinking about it the whole day, not at all. I was also able to not use it at all when it was broken because Inwas afraid it might kill me/by getting an electric shock.

I think why I mainly do it is because I hate being cold. And I get cold so easily even in summer (also because my room is cold in the summer).
So obviously, when it gets too hot, I stop. I'm also not using it the whole day and sometimes use it less, sometimes more. So I don't think I need to increase the time I have it on. Sometimes I did feel ashamed though and did it in secret (I had flatmates). But to be honest, I guess they knew and in the end I was fine with that.

Of course you are no experts on here, but do you think I should worry? I sometimes (although not only) used the hair dryer to calm myself and release anxiety..probably because of the white noise.

I'm currently trying to keep it down and at max 5 minutes a day. Should work as I have managed it before without it.

Thank you all!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi ,i have never heard of that before and im really sorry im unsure how to help
so just wanted to send lots of love and hugs and welcome you to the forum x love Lu x

P

Purpleplum

I've never heard of it although I put it on my shoulders for a bit before I dry my hair ...only because I'm cold.

It sounds like it's soothing to you - the heat, the hum of it. It probably makes you feel better in some way which makes you continue to do it.

N

Nukelavee

I like to sit cuddled up to my little space heater, I like the heat and the sound is soothing.

Sat too close last week, now one of my butt cheeks looks like I sat on a waffle iron.

M

MinneapolisSimpkin

I have a heated/electric blanket I sleep with even during the summer. That and a weighted blanket. I hate being cold as well and I like to make a warm "cocoon" . A heated blanket at least won't burn you and you can cuddle it.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Ya just sounds like a comfort item and you use it for practical reason, so I wouldnt be concerned, as long as you have control over your usage.

A

Aurin

I'm no expert, but I believe that the definition of an addiction is something you can't control yourself on using or doing.

If you say you can control yourself, and is not damaging your life, you are fine.
If you want to, you can try to simulate the experience by using a warm blanket and putting some headphones with a recording of it. This way is less likely you will burn yourself with it.

If you feel the need to use more after a more stressful day, it is probably a coping mechanism. It you don't need to feel ashamed to have it, if it helps you.

I'm no expert, but I believe that the definition of an addiction is something you can't control yourself on using or doing.

If you say you can control yourself, and is not damaging your life, you are fine.
If you want to, you can try to simulate the experience by using a warm blanket and putting some headphones with a recording of it. This way is less likely you will burn yourself with it.

If you feel the need to use more after a more stressful day, it is probably a coping mechanism. It you don't need to feel ashamed to have it, if it helps you.
Hey, thanks a lot for the advice. I actually ordered such a blanket a few days ago. I will certainly give it a try :)