• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My story...

S

ShadowNight

OK, this might be long so I apologise in advance. I know that no one on here can diagnose me with anything and that is up to my psychiatrist, but she just doesn't seem to understand that I might have an issue with food because I am at a normal weight.

Where to start, well, I have been funny with food for years. Several years back I was hardly eating, not because I wanted to lose weight or anything, maybe I was too depressed or anxious or something. Anyway, as I got better, so did my eating, and my weight crept back up to a normal weight. Then I got ill again and was put on my first lot of anti psychotics, which made me put on a lot of weight, in a very short time. I got taken off those, partly for that reason, but then a year later I was put on some anti depressants that also made me gain weight. I am now off those too. But since then I have been bothered about my weight. Statistically, I am not overweight, at 6ft tall I am a healthy weight for my size. I know this because my psychiatrist measured and weighed me (and I constantly weigh myself).

Yet, I am still bothered. I know weight is only a number and that I shouldn't be bothered about it but I am. Why? Because it is a measure of my self control. How well I can deny myself of food, how well I can starve myself. And sometimes I do starve myself. I used to have a rule that if I didn't eat breakfast that I wasn't allowed to eat for the rest of the day. Now once I stop eating I find it so hard to start again, that I have made myself sick after eating because of the guilt. I want to see those numbers on the scales go down so much, and I know that this yoyoing of eating and not eating isn't the best way to lose weight, but then it comes onto my other problem; actually eating.

I used to enjoy eating, like most people, but now I feel disgusting for doing it. Like I have been bad and am doing something dirty. I feel like I should be pure and clean and the only I can do that is to be empty of food. I am normally ok with liquids but sometimes I even struggle with water, I don't want to put anything inside me. And once it is I want it out, asap, by any means possible even if it means being sick or taking laxatives.

So to sum up, I want to lose weight, but not to be thinner (though I would like to be thinner) and I hate eating, love starving myself, make myself sick when I do eat and hate myself when I'm eating and when I'm not. Sometimes I like this, and think I'm going to lose weight and feel great, but other times I know it's all an illusion and that I'm just making more problems for myself. I don't know what to do. Help! :cry:

greebobeebo

greebobeebo

If I was you I would find your local eating disorder group and talk to them. It seems to me that you have a serious problem with food.

D

DoneIt_EndedIt

..;

i feel the same hang in there and it does sound like you have a pronlem try to find support groups x