My son is suffering from sleep paralysis. What should I do?

worriedDAD

worriedDAD

For the past week, my son has been suffering from sleep paralysis. I don’t know if this is normal but having to deal with it for how many days is not normal anymore. My 15 year old kid kept on telling me that he’s having nightmares and bad dreams, which I don’t like. I read an article in a foreign site talking about the death of a girl who had a sleep paralysis. Please tell me what should I do. My son is at risk here. Hear me please.

R

Rusalochka

Go to the doctor so they can do one of those sleep tests and other check ups. Good luck :goodluck:

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Hello worriedDAD gee that’s horrible random question but has your son ever used skunk a bit like cannabis only a lot stronger hence the name.

Is your son going through ongoing enduring high anxiety levels that could also trigger it

Also is your son on any prescribed medication as that may possibly trigger it best to go with him to the doctor and see what they say as I aint no doc and cant advise. Had a quick look and found this.

The Causes of Sleep Paralysis
Lower Your Risk
You can help decrease your chances of experiencing sleep paralysis by focusing on the fundamentals of healthy sleep: maintaining a regular sleep routine, avoiding stimulants (especially alcohol), exercising regularly, eating well and avoiding eating late at night. It’s also important to tend carefully to stress and to your mental health. Anxiety and depression are common. Seeking treatment for these conditions can help you sleep better overall, and may help lower your risk.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

what i found helpful to do as i have had sleep paralysis myself was to focus on things that can help and to not give the fear of the episode ANY what i call oxygen, as this will allow it to fester.

just focus on the things that will help as thinking and dwelling on it will increase it. and other than in a counselling session i would try to limit talking about it. as it in my experience it will more than likely feed the deep fear that is at the bottom of it.

i also found these and so wished this kind of information was available when i was goiing through this.

http://dreamstudies.org/2010/04/29/9-ways-to-wake-up-from-sleep-paralysis/

How to Cope with Sleep Paralysis (with Pictures) - wikiHow

worriedDAD

worriedDAD

Hello worriedDAD gee that’s horrible random question but has your son ever used skunk a bit like cannabis only a lot stronger hence the name.

Is your son going through ongoing enduring high anxiety levels that could also trigger it

Also is your son on any prescribed medication as that may possibly trigger it best to go with him to the doctor and see what they say as I aint no doc and cant advise. Had a quick look and found this.

The Causes of Sleep Paralysis
Lower Your Risk
You can help decrease your chances of experiencing sleep paralysis by focusing on the fundamentals of healthy sleep: maintaining a regular sleep routine, avoiding stimulants (especially alcohol), exercising regularly, eating well and avoiding eating late at night. It’s also important to tend carefully to stress and to your mental health. Anxiety and depression are common. Seeking treatment for these conditions can help you sleep better overall, and may help lower your risk.
Thank you so much! I haven't talk with my son yet regarding that. But I presume he had some anxiety attack these past weeks. Anyway, had a schedule with the doctor already.

worriedDAD

worriedDAD

what i found helpful to do as i have had sleep paralysis myself was to focus on things that can help and to not give the fear of the episode ANY what i call oxygen, as this will allow it to fester.

just focus on the things that will help as thinking and dwelling on it will increase it. and other than in a counselling session i would try to limit talking about it. as it in my experience it will more than likely feed the deep fear that is at the bottom of it.

i also found these and so wished this kind of information was available when i was goiing through this.

9 Ways to Wake Up From Sleep Paralysis | dream studies portal

How to Cope with Sleep Paralysis (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Thank you so much! This is a big help.