• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My son is refusing his meds because he can't get an erection. .

T

tommysmom

My son was hospitalized for three weeks in Sept. He had stopped taking his meds and spiraled downward. The meds were changed to a monthly injection and daily meds for anxiety,etc. He is desperate to have a wife and kids all of a sudden (at age 52). It is a nightmare to get him to go in for the injection,not to mention that he drinks all kinds of herbal teas and is afraid to take his daily meds when he drinks them.He becomes mean and irritable without meds . Has anyone else faced this problem ? I understand how he feels but am at a lose as to a solution. The doc says when he is stable and in a relationship he can cut back on the injections. He insists he has a rare disease that was transmitted 24 years ago through sexual contact; of course the docs can't find anything wrong but he is stuck in that scenario and can't let go of it. Then there is the intense religiosity added in which he says he is paying for the sin of fornication. if I were not afraid of him un-medicated this would all be hilarious but I am. Some of you may remember me from last year around this time...........Here we go again...

Gajolene

Gajolene

So so sorry to hear this Tommysmom. I relate with the relationship thing, sure the church is probably pushing him in that direction too which will only make it last longer. If he's out of control don't be afraid to having him readmitted. Your safety is important. The obsession will pass but it takes a really long time when delusions are as strong as your sons. I go through what I call phases with JD. He finally accepts his meds without a fight but it took over 3 years of relapse after relapse to get there.
Does he have any aftercare nurses involved with his injections and injection days to take pressure off you. Or is that not available in your area. Does he still have his own place?

T

tommysmom

Gajolene you are there as always. Yes he has his own place and the manager of it was the one to convince him to go for his shot. Readmitting him would be a problem as there is no facility here . He is a Vet so he can go to the hospital in San Juan,Puerto Rico . He went willingly in Sept. but he wont do that again. He gets his shot at the small V A clinic here. Sees the pdoc through telemedicine,gets gp doc check ups in person at the clinic here. There is no worker assigned to him,no follow up. When he takes his meds ,he is fine,kind and loving. . You are such an inspiration to me...........thank you just for being you

D

Decco

Hi tommysmom, first of all i can imagine how you feel not understanding the thoughts of your son. personally i am in sort of the same situation as your son, being on a depot injection and a community treatment order. i would definitely testify that the injections do make getting an erection almost impossible along with other unpleasant sideeffects and makes it difficult to enter any sort of fulfilling relationship. obviously i cant tell whether your son is a danger to himself or others but i know when i have got angry in the past it was due to feeling helpless in the care of the mental health services. i'd advise to keep talking to your son about his thoughts and try to be understanding

T

tommysmom

Hi Decco

Hi,Decco. so glad to hear from the perspective of someone suffering a similar situation as my son. Been looking at your other posts and notice that you ,too have strange thoughts at times. My son has told his doc about his and also many other people which does not help him socially. He is not going to take his injection this month and that is his right . His doc says that when he begins a relationship and it seems to be going well they can talk about stopping the shot. she has already increased the amt. of time between shots . I have decided to have our interaction to be lunch once a week until we see how he reacts without the shot.. he usually comes to stay for the weekend.. he is very short tempered and continually tells me of the disease he thinks he has (which is very real to him). He has only been taking his night meds ,will not take the anxiety one for the morning His anger seems to be centered on me but I know he loves me with all his heart and I him. I have decided to let the chips fall where they may. Maybe he can do okay without the shot..........if not so be it. If you have any suggestions as to what he may be experiencing that I could use to inform my reactions etc,I would really appreciate them. So happy to hear from you

D

Decco

Hi,Decco. so glad to hear from the perspective of someone suffering a similar situation as my son. Been looking at your other posts and notice that you ,too have strange thoughts at times. My son has told his doc about his and also many other people which does not help him socially. He is not going to take his injection this month and that is his right . His doc says that when he begins a relationship and it seems to be going well they can talk about stopping the shot. she has already increased the amt. of time between shots . I have decided to have our interaction to be lunch once a week until we see how he reacts without the shot.. he usually comes to stay for the weekend.. he is very short tempered and continually tells me of the disease he thinks he has (which is very real to him). He has only been taking his night meds ,will not take the anxiety one for the morning His anger seems to be centered on me but I know he loves me with all his heart and I him. I have decided to let the chips fall where they may. Maybe he can do okay without the shot..........if not so be it. If you have any suggestions as to what he may be experiencing that I could use to inform my reactions etc,I would really appreciate them. So happy to hear from you
Hi tommysmom, i actually regretted the post that i sent. It seems that your son's delusions are on going and i cannot speak for anyone else diagnosed with a mental illness. Its great that you and him have the opportunity to see what he's like off the meds although i've been told the depot injections effects can last a few months. sorry if i am no help to you.
ps thanks for the hug

T

tommysmom

The fact that you replied is help enough. I appreciate that very much. :hug1: