• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

my social anxiety

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

i have had social anxiety as long as i can remember
it cripples my skills of interaction with others.
i sometimes think i am dumb in the experience of socializing that i don't know what to say

i tremble when i am confronted by anyone with an aggressive approach EVERY DAY.
that i can feel my guts tremble inside.
my palms sweat every time i am pressed to attend a meeting publicly with lots of people

social anxiety is something i avoid eye contact as possible
its just that people make me nervous and I often fall down in errors ended up being disliked

(sad)

S

Soladel

I understand and feel the same with every point you had here, struggling to make eye contact, sweaty palms, feeling nervous, feeling like i won't know what to say, the constant butterflies in my stomach feeling, all of it.

It makes daily life such a struggle, and among other things led to me isolating myself more. I'm currently seeing a therapist who is trying to help with these issues and more, but even with improvements it feels soo far off from not being a big daily struggle.

But i'm hopeful at some point i will learn, even if not to get rid of it completely, to not struggle with it so much and i know you can achieve the same and hope you do. Mostly i just wanted to say i fully understand what you're dealing with and the struggles that come with it. Keep going and i hope it improves for you.

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

thank you
i am getting a book on cbt soon written by a doctor
hopes it helps
i am glad you got a therapist whom you can work with
this is really tough to address
that's why i have hardly any friends
I am mostly to myself all my life......... honestly

S

Soladel

I hope the book does help you, it is very tough to address and i'm like you very lonely and mostly by myself which can make addressing it even harder. I hope you will improve starting with that cbt book though, best of luck!

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

i will update you on my progress

T

Twinkle Toes

I am also not good with people. When I was much younger I managed to be sociable on a superficial level eg talking to other students in college, generally if I felt it was needed to get through the course in college time but I've always liked and needed a lot of personal space just to recharge and cope with demands of daily life (when I was able to go to college and work) so really struggled with progressing to more intimate relations (partners with a view of living together etc). So I never married, never wanted kids in my life, prefer to share my life with a dog or two.

Might consider a cat next if my mobility has gone seriously downhill by the time my current dog gets old and passes, (always admired the big Maine Coon's in white/grey so they look similar to snow leopards) if I felt it was too much for me physically to get out everyday to walk a dog, but I'd never want a person to move in! - IF I manage to survive this pandemic that's coming!

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

did some quick research for emotional support pets, noticed some similar:

best dog breeds for emotional support
1. lab retriever
2. golden retriever

best cat breeds for emotional support
1. siamese
2. american shorthair
(3. maine coon)

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

oops
siamese was also listed under aggressive cat breed category.
sorry!!

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

oh boy oh boy
siamese is also under the affectionate cat breed category

T

Twinkle Toes

lol!.. I did a quick search for Maine Coon and they are said to be the most affectionate and laid back of cat breeds, maybe suitable for someone for who it would be their first cat later in life? Had plenty of dogs in my life but never owned a cat.

I wouldn't be interested in Siamese cats anyway! Mr Woof has too high a prey drive for me to consider having a cat while he's still with me! (and I don't have the energy to deal with the drama!)

Would also consider an older rescue disabled dog that didn't require daily walks and just needed a garden to potter round in and someone to snuggle up to and I could just try and get out a couple of times a week so not as much pressure as from the high energy breeds I've previously owned who needed at least 2 hours every day or they were bouncing off the walls! :eek: They were great motivators to get out and exercise when I was more physically able and had the energy to cope.

Mr Woof has reached 'senior' age (as far as dogs are concerned) and as he's started with arthritis earlier than my last dog, he's not needing as long walks and can cope with a day off if I'm having a bad day, so we're managing ...no more puppies though .. much as I adore them :love: I just don't have the energy to cope with raising them anymore! (Chronic fatigue is one of my issues)