• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My Sleeping Issue

T

Thoth

For the last 12 years I have had poor sleep. Its not just that but I struggle to sleep longer than 6 hours at the very most. When I was in my teenage years I would go days without sleep, sometimes 5 nights without sleep, and then have a 4 hour sleep & repeat.

So I have been on all sorts to correct my sleep, and sometimes we've fixed temporarily before it just reverts back to the way it was before. I'm just truly getting fed up of switching sedatives after sedatives and nothing working.

• Valdoxan 25-75mg - been on this 3 times, and the last time failed terribly.
  • Seroquel 600-800mg - would get 2 hours a night.
  • Zyprexa 5-10mg - Worked for a few months, then It stopped working, ended up taking in the morning before discontinuing it.
  • Temazepam 30-45mg - Corrected sleep, worked as intended. Took 2 months before sleep reverted back.
  • Mianserin 40-60mg - Would get 6 hours a night, worked for 7 months then gradually stopped working.
  • Dothiepin 20mg - Get 3-5 hours a night, only on this for 2 months.

So now I'm on this old drug from the 60's called Endep (Amitriptyline). My psych prescribed me 200mg and said the following "If this doesn't tire you out, then I'd be very surprised and that your body reacts very differently to most my patients."

So is it working? No, sadly not. I've been on this dose for 3 weeks after having it raised from 150mg. My average sleep is 4.5 hours a night, the last time I fell asleep though was Wednesday morning. My goodness there are some side-effects. Xerostomia is by far the biggest and just constantly drinking water so my tongue doesn't get drier than the atacama desert.

The sad thing is I guess, is that I can't remember ever falling asleep naturally without meds, or if I do it was when I'd go to sleep at 4am and wake up at 7am. That was back in 2005. Though even that is not adequate nor good. It's just annoying because I can't turn off the thoughts in my head, I have to be borderline exhausted to naturally sleep, and every night it's like I'm forcing myself to sleep.

So What do I do? I don't have any caffeinated drinks after 5pm, I purely read books after 8pm but I don't tire.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I wish I had the magic answer, but unfortunately I don't sleep well at all either.
Sleeping issues are incredibly stressful and draining. I can really empathise with you.

Keep going back to the doctors, I say. If you harass them enough, they might send you to a sleep clinic and see if there's any underlying problems.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have you tried zopiclone?
I have mirtazipine and i find that helps but more so for me I guess as its an anti depressant but has sedative effects, I believe it can be prescribed for sleep aid though. Good luck!!

T

Thoth

Have you tried zopiclone?
That's for short-term use. We've tried Temazepam several times to re-correct my sleep patterns but the return to their previous state. I suspect my body clock is still stuck on European times. I never had this Problem in Finland, especially during the winter time.

I have mirtazipine and i find that helps but more so for me I guess as its an anti depressant but has sedative effects, I believe it can be prescribed for sleep aid though. Good luck!!
Mianserin and Mirtazapine are nearly identical, except Mirtazapine has weight gain as a side-effect. I use to take Mianserin and Zyprexa to get to sleep. You're right about the TCA's being an okay Anti-depressant.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I gained weight on mirt but now I've lost what I gained and some while still taking it. Its just controlling what you eat :) I've recently upped to 45 ànd find it quite effective. I'm guessing its not one you've got along with? :(

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I had a service user on zopiclone for the whole two years i was supporting him :scared:

Last edited:
T

Thoth

I gained weight on mirt but now I've lost what I gained and some while still taking it. Its just controlling what you eat :) I've recently upped to 45 ànd find it quite effective. I'm guessing its not one you've got along with? :(
Yeah, different things work for different people. For Mianserin I hit 60mg and they told me not to go above that. My hardest issue is falling asleep. As Somerset Scorpio mentioned my psych did suggest a sleep clinic if my sleep continues to be an issue. However the problem is being able to turn off from thinking. There's no question that I am a night owl, I don't start waking up or becoming alive until after 7pm. This of cause creates several quandaries because trying to fall asleep before 10pm is impossible.

I mentioned mirtazapine in the past and she said she gave me Mianserin because it did not have the weight-gain side effect. Also when I was on 20mg of Zyprexa my weight went from 72kg to 87kg in the space 6 weeks. So there's that, and the fact that I was eating less food, and was still gaining weight... and I've reached 98kg now.

I could mention Zopiclone, but I have the feeling she will say its for short-term use, and we've tried that method and it takes a long time, and then the benefit is only for a few weeks and I slip back again.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe try tiring yourself out with exercise?

I hope you can get your referral seen to quick! Nothing worse than no sleep :(

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im out of ideas now sorry :hug5: i hope you get an answer soon.I forgot my tablets and was at a service users last night for a sleep in and remember now how horrible it is to toss and turn all night :(

T

Thoth

I wonder if actually having a winter solstice and daylight of only of 5-7hours would actually correct my cicardian rhythm? Though it's our summer now and there's 14 hours of daylight. Though I do remember being pretty bad during the winter solstice here in Australia and we get 10 hours of daylight during that time...

For tomorrow (where I live)
Civil Twilight dawn: 04:41
Sunrise: 05:10
Sunset: 19:27
Civil Twilight dusk: 19:55

For Tomorrow (hometown)
Civil Twilight dawn: 07:38
Sunrise: 08:20
Sunset: 15:52
Civil Twilight dusk: 16:34

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

You could be on to something, Thoth.
I do notice that my sleep pattern is much worse in the summer months - up at all kinds of crazy hours.
As long as I can resist the urge to take an afternoon nap at this time of year (winter), then I do find myself sleeping a bit better.

T

Thoth

Okay, so today I finally reached 8 hours sleep went to sleep when it was civil twilight dawn at 05:08 woke up at 1100. Felt too tired to stay awake, so had a 1300 - 1500 nap went to work, and I was just reading a book when I passed out around 21:00 and come round at 23:00. While this is all well and good; guess who now won't be sleeping at all tonight.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

That's the trouble, isn't it?
Not sleeping makes you want to nap.. napping makes you not want to sleep.
Sometimes it's impossible to stay awake during the day and part of me thinks that if you're sleeping so poorly at night you should snooze whenever you can.
But it's a vicious cycle. I hope that you do sleep ok tonight in spite of this.. fingers crossed.