• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

my situation

W

wonderingone

Hi ok just joined so this may be a little long winded so apologies but just need to let it out, kinda anxious about just posting.

I’m a guy in my mid 20s and the last few years for me have been really difficult. A couple years ago I started to get really bad abdominal pains and to cut a long story short after several A + E trips and some minor surgery I still have these pains. The doctors have seemingly decided it’s a hyper sensitive bowel issue but it leaves me struggling as the pain isn’t always severe but it is always lingering and lurking and can suddenly go from a small level of pain to really severe. I am currently on pills to help with pain but they aren’t working great and this pain then causes issues in other aspects. Symptoms are mainly severe abdominal pain and frequent need to visit a toilet (with less than pleasant outcomes).

I’ve never really had much of a clear direction in life but this pain makes it very difficult to work and makes me feel a bit worthless and lack independence as I still have to rely on parents and live at home. I’m also quite an anxious person so this adds to that and I really struggle when meeting new people and feel quite lonely often. I only have a small group of friends (about 3) but we have a few different interests so sometimes feel like I miss things and we only meet once every 2 weeks maybe.

Another thing that I feel self conscious about is my whole look as the pills can cause side effects and I struggle with flaky scalp and weight gain due to this. In addition I’ve never had a partner or done much sexually so can make me feel a bit of a loser.

This all causes me to feel quite low and depressed most days, I struggle to find joy in a lot of things and just question what is the point. I have only recently begun to self harm, nothing too serious but not something I ever thought I’d be in a place to do.

I don’t really know what I’m expecting from people in response to this, I’m just hoping it helps me in a little way to have an outlet and if anyone has any advice pls share

if you’ve read this thank you for hearing me complain x

JessisMe

JessisMe

It’s brave to share your feelings and your story in a public forum...it’s not complaining. I’m sorry to hear about the level of pain you are dealing with and the constant discomfort. About the other things, it’s okay to depend on your parents a bit. They are your family. It’s great that you do have some friends. The side effects you have described have to be a bummer but it hasn’t prevented your friends from being friendly with you...not that everything is great certainly just things might not be as bad as they seem. As for the self harming I don’t have any experience in the area so I can’t really offer anything in that direction. I know there are many users here who do have experience with self harm who might be able to share some insight here so I hope that they will chime in. We’re goad you are here with us. xo, j

W

wonderingone

It’s brave to share your feelings and your story in a public forum...it’s not complaining. I’m sorry to hear about the level of pain you are dealing with and the constant discomfort. About the other things, it’s okay to depend on your parents a bit. They are your family. It’s great that you do have some friends. The side effects you have described have to be a bummer but it hasn’t prevented your friends from being friendly with you...not that everything is great certainly just things might not be as bad as they seem. As for the self harming I don’t have any experience in the area so I can’t really offer anything in that direction. I know there are many users here who do have experience with self harm who might be able to share some insight here so I hope that they will chime in. We’re goad you are here with us. xo, j
hey thanks for responding, just trying to get through each day a bit and hopefully get more used to/symptoms improve. Hoping it’s a domino effect and once one thing gets better it all starts to become easier. just hard some days to keep going x