My sister who has depression refuses to take medicine

N

Nush

Hi,
My sister is having depression for 8 years and she had treatments for the last 7 years. However she got married and she wanted to have children, then she stopped medicine forcefully and she did not visit doctor. Now her situation is getting worst and seems she is going to loose her marriage due to her situation. Her husband left her and she is with my parents. Still she is refusing to take medicine and when we say her to go to a doctor she is blaming us. Is there any way we can convince her to take medicine and to consult a doctor? Sometimes we are thinking of giving her medicine without telling her (by adding it to her food of drinks). But I am not sure whether it is a good thing to do. We should do something to prevent her being the same old girl at the beginning. Please help us by giving your opinions.
Thanks

S

steve1953

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used to take loads of medicines 4 years ago for Hyperacusis and Depression, now i'm clear of both and on almost zero tablets apart from the odd half a blood pressure when Ive been stressed. I' m not saying this will work for everyone but its an option - exercise - meditation 20 mins a day - and research positive energy to heal - no guarantees but its so successful for many people if incorporating all three.

Skynet

Skynet

Hi,
My sister is having depression for 8 years and she had treatments for the last 7 years. However she got married and she wanted to have children, then she stopped medicine forcefully and she did not visit doctor. Now her situation is getting worst and seems she is going to loose her marriage due to her situation. Her husband left her and she is with my parents. Still she is refusing to take medicine and when we say her to go to a doctor she is blaming us. Is there any way we can convince her to take medicine and to consult a doctor? Sometimes we are thinking of giving her medicine without telling her (by adding it to her food of drinks). But I am not sure whether it is a good thing to do. We should do something to prevent her being the same old girl at the beginning. Please help us by giving your opinions.
Thanks
Personally, I think you should respect your sister's autonomy with regards to her mental health treatment. If she thinks she doesn't need a doctor or medicines, that should be left up to her. Involuntary hospitalization ends very badly in my experience.

Please note that adding medicines to her food/drink is a very bad idea. She will eventually figure it out and when she does, she may start avoiding food/drink altogether or even retaliate by poisoning your food.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi,
Thanks
Hi @Nush

I am sorry that your sister is suffering.
The best way to convince her is to warn her that in a case of mental or emotional breakdown she might end up in a hospital against her and you are trying to prevent that by encouraging her to take her medication.

Putting the medicine in her food or drink is a very bad idea. If she finds out, she will at least lose her trust in you and or might retaliate in an unexpected way.

Be easy on her and always show her that you are on her side.

I hope she feels better soon.

A

Alladyn1919

Hi,
Thanks
In my opinion it's a very bad idea avoiding treatment for major depression hoping it will pass away or at least get much better on its own.I don't know about exact statistics but in vast majority of cases it doesn't and things only get worse.
However she is right if she wants to avoid publicity about her depression.But can't she go to another town to see a doctor or to another region in your town if you live in large town?
There are also some supplements which happen to be effective for major depression as I know from my own experience, which can be bought without prescription.There is some risk involved in taking them as they are not regulated by authorities however not that great as it is often talked about.If they are bought from reputable sources they are rather not dangerous and may help a lot.Though caution is using them is important, getting proper, credible information, etc.But anyway avoiding official, "on the spot" treatment so that everybody knows makes a lot of sense if there are other viable options.

Regards

Alladyn1919

megirl

megirl

Many of us would have it at some point 'no I will be ok' or 'I'm not really that unwell' denials quite common. Sadly for me I wouldn't let anyone in to help me and when I finally admitted I needed help is was almost too late.
I hope in some way you can talk to your sister and encourage her to give treatment a go.
If I had given in and got help earlier it would have meant I would never got so I'll.
Depression can be nasty and there is lots of useful medications out there
No one deserves to suffer
Maybe it would be good to mention that if she does get worse she may well end up in hospital.
Its must be hard seeing someone you love suffer and they just can't see you are only trying to help
Hope you a

megirl

megirl

Hope you are taking care of yourself also

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Thank you for coming here on behalf of your sister. Many who suffer for mental illness have only known abandonment and it affirms us all knowing there are people who care.

I feel for you and your family, you're concerned and there are strong feelings driving you to intervene. I agree with the others that forcing her to take medications is likely to backfire. However I am very positive on the matter of antidepressants and I wish she were the one who decided to join us here so that I might have the opportunity to tell her my story.

With any mental illness, nobody can be helped who doesn't want help. Therapy is useless. Drugs, if prescribed, are not taken.

Let go of making it your responsibility for them to get better. Friends and family members can play an important role, but do not help when they make it their mission to “fix” the depressed person. The person does not want their family members to suffer or to need to perform for them.
Family members cannot help but be impacted. But finding a balance between care for self and care for others is especially important in the relationship with a person who is depressed."
- Nancy Bugoyne, PhD clinical psychologist
Apart from doctors and therapies, support communities can be enormously effective. There are some benefits peculiar to online support forums like: anonymity, advice for coping from others with direct experience of illness, stories of recovery and most of all, knowing that one isn't alone in struggles with mental illness. Perhaps your sister will find that this is how she's most comfortable talking about or learning about depression.

megirl

megirl

I do think part or accepting yes you do have a mental illness and getting help is a start. Its all a process. She needs to see a doctor to assess her and offer the appropriate treatment as needed.
Also joining a place like a forum can be really useful. Getting advice,support and empathy from people who know what its like to have a mental illness