My sister needs help

O

OracularDream

Back in December after a severe depressed episode she entered psychosis. She thought demons were talking to her, her speech didn't make any sense, she claims she is often possessed as different demons/angels. she was seeing and hearing things that weren't there. The first day it was really intense and she threatened to kill me. I called 911 and she was admitted to the hospital. They thought she seemed fine despite all my reports on how strange she was acting. They refused to believe me and didn't put her on new medication

After several months of intense symptoms and Heather threatening to kill herself we got her back to the hospital. Finally this hospital put her on some new meds and she finally left psychosis.

For a few months she was ok. She seemed depressed but was lucid. Everything seemed fine until 2 weeks ago. She became paranoid again. Right now she thinks the police are after her and that the FBI is working with her. She strongly believes people are after her at all times including her neighbors. She sees demons and often talks to herself like before. I called the cops last week and they did nothing. I don't understand why.

A week went past and she threatened to kill herself. I called he cops again and they did nothing. I am working with my mother and she spoke to a lawyer and they said there was nothing they could do.

Right now I don't know what to do. I need help so badly.

I currently live in Texas and the laws here are so strict. They won't take heather in unless she is a threat to herself or other people. Even when she was a threat to herself they wouldn't provide services.

I've even sat down and begged my sister if she would let me take her to the hospital. I'd do anything just for her to go but she says no.

O

OracularDream

The only thing I could do was convince my sister to see her psychiatrist but she has been avoiding all her therapist so I don't know if she is lieing

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
You can only keep trying, she does need services as she is a risk to herself and others.
She probably doesn't have insight, so won't realise how ill she is.
I hope you get the help you deserve.
Take care

vanish

vanish

As someone who recently was hospitalised due to psychosis, all you can really do is keep trying to reason with her. My wife had to wait until I was threatened by my gp with the mental health act until I went voluntarily into hospital.
I hope your sister sees you are trying to help her before shit hits the fan for everyone’s sakes.

O

OracularDream

@vanish what is the Mental Health Act?

Thank you

Just a bit of a update: Yesterday I was supposed to visit my sister at her hotel where to currently resides to avoid "people from following her." She called me and cancelled our meeting because she claimed the FBI found the person that's been following her and needed to do a detailed investigation.

She hasn't eaten in days so I offered to just give her food but she wouldn't give me her room number because she thought my phone was hacked.

I guess I'll try to reach out to her again today and see if she will see me and my mom.

vanish

vanish

Hey @Dream, the mental health act operates on a state by state basis in my country (Australia). Basically someone can be sectioned under the act if they are found to incapable mentally due to a mental illness to care for themselves or others or if their life or another’s life is in danger. Police and paramedics can detain someone for assessment and treatment can be imposed involuntarily.

K

KitKat90

I would get in contact with her psychiatrist. If she has been suicidal, they maybe able to help. Do you know if she is taking her medications? If she isn’t, it could explain why she in her current state. I live in Texas too. They will pretty much do nothing unless your a harm to yourself or others. Since she has a history with this psychiatrist it maybe easier to get an involuntary hold so she can be evaluated. It’s worth a try...

O

OracularDream

@vanish Unfortunately, I don't think we have anything like that. I really really wish we did. IT seems extremely unfair how we have it.

@KitKat90 How do we get a involuntary hold?

Unfortunately she was arrested Friday and even though they saw she was severely impaired mentally they didn't send her to the mental hospital. They put her on a 1,000 dollar bond and let her go.

I just don't understand. How do they expect someone who lacks rational thought or reality to pay a 1000 dollar bond or show up to court? I spoke with Heather about it and she won't even go to the court hearing because she doesn't think she did anything wrong even though she threatened a hotel staff and refused to leave.

K

KitKat90

Look at Northtexas.com they have some information on there website.

My mother was put on an involuntary hold. I didn’t know until she told me this year. She went to the doctors office. I don’t know what happened. All I know is she said she was upset (crying in his office) and then the Dr sent an order to the hospital.They held her for 72 hours and released her the Dr there believed her story over the Dr who ordered it.

I hope you can get some help from the psychiatrist. If an MD can order it. I’m sure the psychiatrist can also.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I live in NY and one time because of something I admitted to at an appointment with my therapist, the therapist said I had to go to the psych hospital. I said no, I didn't want to go. So my therapist talked to my psychiatrist and my psychiatrist said that if I don't go voluntarily, she was going to make me go by ordering a 72 hour hold for evaluation. She said it wouldn't be pretty. The cops would show up and maybe put me in hand cuffs and bring me to the hospital. So I agreed to go voluntarily.