• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My SA is limiting my potenial

M

majaz92

I have very specific social anxiety and self esteem issues. I dont like attention brought to me because i'll be judged by others.
But sometimes i dont mind it. And i learned to live with it.. but its time i make a change. I have been doing landscaping with my dad for years part time. But now i am about to start my own landscape business. I am hitting a few road blocks that i can reconize from my other parts of my life- but if i learn to deal eith it for ny business- i feel it will limit how well i do.
I care too much about ehat others think when i feel i havnt proven myself yet. I also fear rejection. My whole life i'll structure a question so i can kinda "test" the waters before i actually ask things. For example i recall being maybe 10 years old- about to ask my granpa for $10. In my mind i fear that split second as im asking him for $10. He'll ask why. So i ask in reverse.. and i always beat around the bush..
So with my business i am embarressed. I fear what others will think when i put an ad on FB. I lie to the equipment store saying this equipment is for my property but its really for a business. Or my uncle.. who i rent a house from. I know he'll gibe his opinion on my business. So i avoid telling him. I'll talk to my mom about my business and i'll say "if" i start my business or "im thinking about starting" but i already made up my mind- i have already.

This goes on and on.. where should i start? I want to avoid doing this coping mechanisms that are foolish and may hinder my business growth. Thx
I am 29 btw. I am on my phone- so my typing might be iffy.

jajingna

jajingna

I don't know. It's a hard problem. Good luck with your business.

P

palpiations

Join the club honestly. The only way to overcome social anxiety is to slowly expose yourself to the things you're anxious of or go for a 'flooding' approach where u jump straight into doing everything you're scared of. Flooding works better for me personally.

In your situation, I would just be honest even if you find it uncomfortable.