• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My questions and answers to intrusive thoughts.

B

bolinster

I've been dealing with intrusive thoughts for quite some time now. I am a young adult, and recently my intrusive thoughts have manifested into harmful intrusive thoughts. I am currently on a low dose of SSRI, and there are pros and cons to it. The pros are that I have zero anxiety, which is great. I see this as a positive. The cons are that I have no emotional connection to my thoughts, which is disturbing because when I think of a very taboo thought, I can't distinguish how I feel or if its how I really feel. The thing about anxiety is it's your minds, personal bodyguard. When something that isn't comfortable or intrusive to a person, your guard (anxiety) goes up, telling you something is wrong. I guess personally I am confused about why I have these thoughts and if they mean anything. Emotionally I feel dull, yet the thoughts don't get to me as much, but they are still disturbing.

Now the solutions I thought I should share. When I have an intrusive thought, you should be able to recognize that you don't want the thought there, thus it's intrusive. This is obviously what triggers your anxiety. What I do is as soon as the thought pops in my head, I say to myself in self-talk, "that is an intrusive thought. It is just a thought, it means nothing". A couple other tips are that you are able to make choices, not your mind. If you have a thought you have the choice to either disregard the thought or dwell on it. Make the choice to heal from your thoughts and choose to not give the thought meaning. Next, find your trigger, even if it's not a trigger and it happens randomly, know where you are in your mind. Practice mindfulness, and if you're like me, start your day by telling yourself that you have a problem accepting uncertainty and accepting you are not your thoughts. Finally, my best piece of advice is if you have started your recovery process, live your life as you would normally, and deal with your intrusive thoughts as they come, don't surround your life around fixing yourself. Its a slow process and to simplify what I said "don't make fixing yourself a priority, rather fix yourself as life goes on". My symptoms have gotten so much better since I have started this. OCD is a disorder that's curable. I hope this helps :)

R

RockinRoddy

I get intrusive thoughts everyday. Some are so irrational I don't want to tell anyone even my shrink. Ever since I increased my dosage I am getting more anxiety. By the way I don't think OCD is curable. It is treatable but it will come back .