• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My psychiatrist has just shafted me!

HLon99

HLon99

Not sure how it works in the UK but here in Canada I know that the GP can still write prescriptions for existing medication. My wife's GP has done that when she needs to refill her meds. What the GP can't do is prescribe new meds or change the existing prescription in any way. That needs to come from her psychiatrist.
I once just told the family doc, first time I met him, that I was depressed and had taken zoloft in the past. No problem. Got the prescription. (in Canada)
Here in the UK GP's have free reign to prescribe antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication. However, when it comes to more serious stuff like antipsychotics or mood stabilisers they usually need a recommendation from the psychiatrist.

My psychiatrist will most likely contact my GP informing advising them to take me off the medication. However, if I manage to get ahead of the news, which I most likely will thanks to the sluggish way in which the NHS communicate, I will contact my GP first and inform them of my side of the story first and tell them that they didn't even offer me any advice on how to come off antipsychotics. Hopefully, if I get a good GP on the day they will take my side of the story into account.

K

keith74

A GP here cannot give mood stabilisers or antipsychotics without instruction from a psychiatrist. If the psychiatrist says don't give the medication, i don't think the gp can do it.
I see. To clarify, my wife (in the past) was able to get re-fill prescriptions for her mood stabilizer (Epival) and antipsychotic (Seroquel) from her GP but I'm sure if her psychiatrist contacted the GP to not do it, her GP would listen to the psychiatrist.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
The gp will put not only your safety, but your mental health and likely relapse, before anything. But they have to abide by rules, so a really difficult situation for the gp. I hope they will keep prescribing but also refer you for another assessment by a different psychiatrist. I am sure your gp will write to the psychiatrist.

HLon99

HLon99

Just got off the phone from my GP. Went about as well as it could. I told him the whole story of how my symptoms started, what they were, how I cycled through periods of extreme low mood and extreme high mood. I told him about when I went to seek help from the GP, who referred me to a psychiatrist who helped me out a lot but then retired. How he was replaced by a different psychiatrist who initially stayed the course with the treatment, but just now decided to withdraw my bipolar diagnosis, pull my medication and discharge.

He was pretty surprised when I told him about what happened, but like tawny said he held off making any conclusions or decisions about my care. He told me that he will have to wait until he receives the official discharge letter from the clinic explaining the reasoning behind their decision and then assess. He said that if I felt mistreated by the clinic, that there is a chance that I will be able to get referred to a different clinic to be reassessed, but he will have to review all the info first. We arranged for him to call me back next Monday and we will take it from there.

These things are hard to read because doctors rarely tell you what they are actually thinking. But he did act surprised when I told him about the sudden discharge and he did listen to all of my concerns, I'm hoping that I got through to him. For now, I have to bite my lip and just hope for the best. (And prepare for the worst).

Thank you all for all your comments. I will keep everyone updated on any progress or problems. And as always, I'm open for any other suggestions you may have.

HLon99

HLon99

I think yo are handling this very well. Keep us informed.
I appreciate, I'm trying to stay cool calm and collected as best as I can given the circumstance, but lowkey having a breakdown about this entire situation. The way in which this clinic has treated me has left me feeling completely adrift. I'm banking a lot on my GP pulling through for me but failing that I really need to start planning for contingencies. I'm growing very tired of this struggle, my only hope is that I have the energy to deal with and pull through this situation.

soul searching

soul searching

Waiting is very hard. If you do get bad news, be sure to ask your GP for other ideas as well. I know how you feel about the low energy and the struggle. Just getting through the day is a struggle much less having to deal with all that crap. Don't give up! This too shall pass.

Ruma55

Ruma55

This exact thing happened to me, I had the best psychiatrist for 8 years then one day out of the blue I went in for my usual appointment and they told me my doctor had quit. They gave me two weeks worth of medication and refused to see me again. It caused me to have a total meltdown when I ran out of meds and took months to recover after I finally found a new doctor. I don’t know how they can get away with that, it’s shameful.

HLon99

HLon99

This exact thing happened to me, I had the best psychiatrist for 8 years then one day out of the blue I went in for my usual appointment and they told me my doctor had quit. They gave me two weeks worth of medication and refused to see me again. It caused me to have a total meltdown when I ran out of meds and took months to recover after I finally found a new doctor. I don’t know how they can get away with that, it’s shameful.
That really sucks. If you don't mind me asking how did you manage to get yourself a new doctor?

C

celticlass

I am not bipolar, and haven’t checked what causes it, but in the back of my mind somewhere, I seem to think it’s an actual chemical imbalance Which causes it ( ie a physical issue, which has side effects which affect MH). If that is correct, it seems odd that the clinic have simply said you don’t have it anymore. I thought it was one of those things which can be managed but not cured. I may be wrong. Either way, it seems incredibly insensitive and reckless of the clinic to discharge you in such a way.
Oh I do not think it is a question of the Psychiatrist saying it is not bipolar so much as a misdiagnosis in first instance. Since there is also an issue here for the OP with ADHD and the symptoms of that disorder, it must be difficult to be clear. 6 months is a very short time in terms of observing symptoms in serious mental illness really.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Jesus fucking christ, is this really a way to treat people who have a serious illness. I don't have 6 months. In 6 months time I should be going back to uni. I've nearly finished my application and have started studying again, I can't go back to the place I was before.
Honestly this is disgrace! To me they are not COMPETENT at ALL>