• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My psychiatrist has just shafted me!

soul searching

soul searching

Maybe you should try calling or talking again. Explain your situation, ask for advice. Maybe someone on the forum team here can help you. You can ask to speak with them right here on this web site. Man that's rough.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You can say that you do not want to go to that clinic and they should send you to a different one, even if it is out of area. You can also request a different nurse or psychiatrist.

You can contact PALS and they may also be able to help.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

I don't think them mentioning mood dysregulation means they diagnosed you with bpd. Here in the Netherlands they use such vague terms when they aren't sure about a diagnosis (yet) but there's clearly something going on. There are many mental disorders that cause mood dysregulation, like bipolar, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bpd and a lot of other personality disorders. Even just plain depression is mood dysregulation.

On Fire

On Fire

Yes, I was wrong to link Emotional Dysregulation just with EUPD/BPD.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Yes, I was wrong to link Emotional Dysregulation just with EUPD/BPD.
Oh, I wasn't trying to proof you wrong, just letting HLon99 know that he doesn't necessarily have bpd because he seemed quite upset about it.
Thanks for the informative link!

K

keith74

H - Sorry to hear of what you are going through right now. That doctor (and clinic) sounds horrible to treat you like that! I don't have much to offer in terms of advice on what to do next (I am not familiar with NHS as I live in Canada) but I wish the best of luck in finding a new psychiatrist that treats you with the respect you deserve.

Crazyswede

Crazyswede

I am not bipolar, and haven’t checked what causes it, but in the back of my mind somewhere, I seem to think it’s an actual chemical imbalance Which causes it ( ie a physical issue, which has side effects which affect MH). If that is correct, it seems odd that the clinic have simply said you don’t have it anymore. I thought it was one of those things which can be managed but not cured. I may be wrong. Either way, it seems incredibly insensitive and reckless of the clinic to discharge you in such a way.

jajingna

jajingna

I don't think the chemical imbalance theory has ever been proved, has it? And so, it remains a theory. There was a stretch of years going on in the 1990s when that idea was heavily promoted as if it was fact. But that was probably the pharmaceutical industry saying, "ah, now we know the cause, and we have pills to fix it." Guess some doctors were on board with this idea too.

Z

Zoe1

You can contact PALS and they may also be able to help.
I was advised to get an independent mental health advocate
because PALS might just agree with the doctors

N

Nukelavee

She claims I have mood dysregulation, which I have no idea what that is. Sounds like absolute horsecrap to me because I clearly have mania and depression and my family can attest to that. But hey what do I know I'm crazy
Hunh. That sounds like she'd edging towards a BPD diagnosis. Which can share a lot of behaviour with bipolar.

HLon99

HLon99

Hunh. That sounds like she'd edging towards a BPD diagnosis. Which can share a lot of behaviour with bipolar.
The original psychiatrist that diagnosed me with bipolar, who I respected a lot and had 30+ years experience in the field, ruled out BPD. He told me that my symptoms are not characteristic of a disorder of behaviour like BPD but an affective disorder such as bipolar. Other than the havoc that my manias have caused, I tend to have fairly stable relationships (if not perfect) with other people. I have had the same group of 6 close friends since I was 12. Even though I grew up with a lot of tension in the family, I still have a pretty close relationship with my parents. I don't tend to do the whole love/hate splitting thing, I have never had a history of self harm, I had never even considered suicide (until my first depressive episode). Furthermore, the mood swings prevalent in BPD tend to be short lasting. I had a proper 2 month long depressive episode, followed by a 3-4 week long (hypo)manic episode. Now, I'm no doctor, but I don't think that that sounds anything like BPD or emotional dysregulation. Furthermore, even if I did, I would still have a serious mental disorder that needs to be treated and not left to hang out to dry. It doesn't make any sense.

N

Nukelavee

For what it's worth, despite having BPD, I have long term friendships and generally get along with people. Generally.

for me, long periods of depression are common - the mood swings I get are usually between that, and, basically, rage. I don't do split thinking, either.

The hypomanic aspect definitely stands out, though.

I agree, either way, it's a serious issue, and cutting you loose makes no sense.

either way, I think trying to come up with a solid plan for dealing with the situation would be a benefit. Get something on paper as a guide or checklist to offset disordered thinking.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
The important thing here is your medication and what is going to happen when you run out. Have you spoken to your GP?

Your wellness is most important, not diagnosis.

HLon99

HLon99

The important thing here is your medication and what is going to happen when you run out. Have you spoken to your GP?

Your wellness is most important, not diagnosis.
Thanks tawny. Its a Saturday so my surgery is closed atm but I will give them next week. Of course wellness is a priority. Unfortunately, without a diagnosis there can be no treatment. They won't just prescribe bipolar drugs for someone who hasn't been diagnosed. Hopefully my GP will be able to help me get a referral to a different team, but there is only so much they can do. Unfortunately, they cannot prescribe this kind of psychiatric medication by themselves, even though I'm sure if I spoke to them they would be more sympathetic to me.