• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My psychiatrist has just shafted me!

HLon99

HLon99

Dear all,

As some of you already now, for several months now, I have been receiving treatment for bipolar disorder. Since stating I have made waves of progress with my mental health, I no longer feel depressed or suicidal, I no longer get horrible manias that result in me doing impulsive things and no more paranoia.

I was initially diagnosed and treated by a fantastic psychiatrist who totally understood me and helped me immensely. Unfortunately, her retired and in his place I had someone, who lets just say is less than ideal. I had an appointment with her where we had a minor disagreement about the medication that I should be on, however, after much conversation we agreed on a middle ground and that she will speak to her supervisor about changing it.

So, you can imagine my surprise when a receive a phone call from this **** tonight telling me that my Bipolar diagnosis has been withdrawn, my medication has been withdrawn and I have been discharged from the clinic. She claims her reasoning for this is that, no psychiatrist has been able to observe me in the midst of a manic episode (despite many of my friends and family saying to the contrary), I smoked a little pot in the past and that she believes that I will not benefit from being on bipolar medication, despite the fact that I have responded very well to it.

Now, luckily I had the presence of mind to request my repeat prescription before my appointment with this absolute twat so I should be good for another month, maybe more. But what do I do after that? I'm on NHS so beggars can't be choosers really when it comes to selecting care. Who should I talk to about this, how do I go about being re-diagnosed?

Any advice would be VERY VERY VERY much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-H

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m in the US and don’t know how to advise you but I’m sorry this is happening. What a terrible thing for her to do and what a shock. :hug: xo, j

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Can you put a complaint in, to the manager of the clinic.
It's disgusting I hope you can find a more supportive psychiatrist to.
Good luck

HLon99

HLon99

Can you put a complaint in, to the manager of the clinic.
It's disgusting I hope you can find a more supportive psychiatrist to.
Good luck
I would, but I its the manager of the clinic that actually pushed for me to be discharged. When I spoke to her over the phone she told me that it was after consulting the lead clinician she decided to do this.

floater

floater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Did the same with me a number of years ago. Six months after withdrawel of the medication had the worst breakdown ever - knocking over statues in the local cathedral, going completely. They put me back on the meds. Haven't taken me off them since despite the lack of relapse. (not that I've been well, more quiet and withdrawn, that I'm happy with compared with going full Rambo)

HLon99

HLon99

Did the same with me a number of years ago. Six months after withdrawel of the medication had the worst breakdown ever - knocking over statues in the local cathedral, going completely. They put me back on the meds. Haven't taken me off them since despite the lack of relapse. (not that I've been well, more quiet and withdrawn, that I'm happy with compared with going full Rambo)
Jesus fucking christ, is this really a way to treat people who have a serious illness. I don't have 6 months. In 6 months time I should be going back to uni. I've nearly finished my application and have started studying again, I can't go back to the place I was before.

floater

floater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Literature says withdrawal from lithium runs a severe risk of relapse. It takes months, and there needs to be careful monitoring. Never happened with me. They stopped it and I was cut adrift and despite ruining my life - that I won't go into here - never any apology.

D

Deleted member 91323

I hope it is okay to post as I do not have bipolar. I find that psychiatrist despicable. To say you are no longer bipolar and discharge you without any assessment makes me think they have a huge ego that was dented by you voicing your own opinion. I think MIND may be able to offer you some advice. I have chatted to them before and found them to be helpful and understanding. I really am so sorry this has happened to you.

B

Blue Opal

This is ridiculous and no way to treat people. I'm so sorry this happened!
I really don't know what you should do now. Can't you get your meds from your GP?

N

Nukelavee

I'm constantly amazed at how callous some doctors can be.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
That is appalling, and dangerous! Why diagnose you, put you on medication, and then turn around and remove it all, and the support? Did you speak to your GP? Your GP will not want you to go cold turkey and should help you taper down slowly.

I doubt the GP has much power in this but they can help you with medication and maybe can refer you to primary care services, if secondary care are not going to accept you.

Hopefully after the main of covid is out of the way, you can see another professional for help. Whatever the diagnosis, if you need help someone has to put you on a list and help you.

Just because you argued with this new psychiatrist, they decided to look through your notes with an unkind eye.

There will be a chance for help again, just not right now. You can be referred again next year, and start again, but try not to criticise them just plain fact when talking to the gp.

D

Dispatch

Can you somehow contact you old doctor and have him intercede on your behalf ? also sorry this happened to you

HLon99

HLon99

Has she given you an alternative diagnosis?
She claims I have mood dysregulation, which I have no idea what that is. Sounds like absolute horsecrap to me because I clearly have mania and depression and my family can attest to that. But hey what do I know I'm crazy