• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My psych won't take me seriously! Not getting the right treatment, and I think I'm getting worse :(

?

>.<

My psych won't take me seriously! Not getting the right treatment, and I think I'm getting worse :(

Ok well, I'm 15 and a girl. I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder by 2 doctors, but my community psych doesn't think I have the disorder, and says I'm just an "Impulsive and dramatic young woman who's been through a lot" :\ I've been feeling pretty low for about 8 months, after coming out of a 2 month hospitalisation for a suicide attempt, and she dosen't believe what I say! She tells me "Its not that bad, your exagerating" and "I dont know what to believe, you change your mind a lot, sometimes you say your ok and othertimes you say your life is awful"....ISNT THAT SYMPTOMATIC OF BIPOLAR? :\

Anyway I thought I'd ask some people here what you think, these are my symptoms, tell me if you think it IS just a 'hard time' or does it sound like Bipolar?

-I'm a former cutter, but I've given up now. I still have the urge to cut everytime I get stressed or upset

- 6 suicide attempts, although 5 were half hearted

-I feel empty a lot, and my emotions feel muted, and I woder if I'm dead

-Constantly think what it would be like to die, what would happen if I died, would it hurt much etc.

-I have a lot of anxiety (I have GAD and OCD also though)

-I constantly feel physically ill, but theres no medical cause

-Can't motivate myself to do anything, I've gone from an A* student to a D student in some subjects.

Thats me atm, but also when I've been the opposite, this is what happens:

- feel "invincible" and untouchable. Like nothing can stop me, and that I'm on top of the world

-Feel like I'm amazing, lots of confidence

-Don't get tired and I don't need to sleep

-talk really fast and my thoughts like, whoosh, kind of spin around my head really quickly

-I do stupid things because I think the consequences wont happen to me, e.g I tried to sneak away, I go out and put myself in risky situations

-I move really fast and get inspired a lot.

So what do you think? Is this normal teenage stuff, regular depression, or bipolar?

Thanks

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
vary diffiucult to say cos nobobody on here can diagnose...

Do you still see the psychs that diagnosed you?

?

>.<

No, because they only deal with inpateints, I went to two different hospitals, which is why I saw two. The first one said it was deffinate, the second one said "very likely" but my community one doesn't think it is. It's affecting my school, my teachers are telling me i'm being "uncooperative and disruptive and attentionseeking", and that my attendance is bad. They know about my problems but they said "because your diagnosis i not confirmed, we can't do anything." So helpful of them :\

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Sounds really tough... Are you on medication.? Do you see the community psych soon.. you could ask them how he reached his decision despite other psychs thinkin you had bipoloar.

Ps :welcome: to the forum

?

>.<

I was on seroquel during my suicidal episode, because I was also hearing voices and thought the government was watching me, not a good time for me :\ I've known my community doctor longer, and she says "You present bipolar and you exhibit symptoms of bipolar, but I don't think you have bipolar" which I don't understand. I'm seeing one of my pschologists soon, so I'm going to try talking to her about it.

And thanks :)

emski

emski

Yes I think you need to talk to the psychologist here.

I think it is terrible - you are 15, still a minor, and are vulnerable. But your school and the psychiatrist, who have a duty to protect and support you, are upholding that duty, worse they are confusing you about your diagnosis.

How about your GP - do you have his/her support? What about your family?

It sounds like you have an awful lot of symptoms going on and a lot of issues for this to be teenage stuff. Has there been anything that triggered your symptoms off (you don't have to say if you don't feel comfortable)

Keep talking to us :hug:

?

>.<

Well I've always had anxiety and since I was a kid, because of horrible medical procedures I had from when I was born until I was 6. I was always "different" and "hard work", "dramatic" according to all my family and teachers. It never really got that bad until I was 13 though, I got bullied at school really badly and that triggered me to become depressed and start to feel suicidal.

I don't see my GP that much but I'm thinking about going to see him soon because this is really causing me problems :( My mum can be supportive, but my dad is really old fashioned and has this ridiculous idea that I'm just "being naughty and acting up and trying to manipulate the situation". He doesn't understand mental health problems, so I can never talk to him about it cos when I do, he says it "disturbs" him :(

My mum thinks I might have regular depression. Every woman in her side of the family either has or has had some form of depression at least once. No one as far as I know has been diagnosed as Bipolar, although my cousin said she thinks she has it mildly, but she says copes fine so she hasn't gone to see anyone, although at my age she was treated for pretty bad depression.

Thanks for helping everyone btw :)

W

Watercolours

Psych don’t ever really like to DX people under the age of 18 officially, they might put suggestions down in your notes but hardly ever would give a firm DX until your more stable in your life, at 15 your still technically a hormonal teenager going through a lot of changes in your life!

Your symptoms can also somewhat be related to that of Borderline Personality Disorder as well...

Having an official DX won’t change anything for you, it’s not ‘cool’ to have a label you would be better off concentrating on asking the psych to refer you to some kind of therapy or psychologist so you can really begin to work on your issues, maybe medication...

If you don't think you are getting the right treatment, even as a 15 year old you have rights, you could consider getting PALS involved at the hospital who can help and advise you on your rights...

It took me over 10 years to get an officially DX through the NHS!

iffybob

iffybob

Hi ...

... teachers ... umm. not the brightest lot in this country .. a little inconvenience and they start squeeling like pigs ... yep you have to live with them .. I would not take there "opinions" on anything ... ( my opinion )

I agree they wont give you a definate (writtern) diagnosis till your an adult.. but until then .. they should threat the problems you have .... and you should take it ...

,, and dont be in a rush to get a dx ... there is a possiblity that you can work through this ... and lead anormal life ... which is way better ..