• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My partner is dealing with depression and doesn't need me in her life anymore.

L

Lifeispoop

Hello.
I came across this forum today and i thought I could share my experience.
I am in (or probably was) in a relationship with someone who lives more than 7000 miles away from me. We've been in a relationship for two years now and we've known each other for almost 3 years.
My fiancée deals with severe mental illness and when I say "severe" I do not exaggerate it a bit. So living so far apart from each other obviously takes a great toll on our relationship and her mental health as well. She's a really shy person and an introvert. She doens't have friends. I cannot explain all what she's gone through in life but in short, she has a lot of trauma.
Her mental health has been deteriorating ever since she went back to her country in March. It has gone so bad that we don't talk for days and I don't get a response. It does make me feel neglected the same way it did with you guys. But I have come a long way to be understanding of her mental illness. Having gone through depression myself I know how bad it can be but in her case it's a lot more worse. I still have anxiety issues which makes me restless and cry at night because I worry about my future, about her health and about us.
Today I wrote her a text saying that it's okay to stay away from any kind of communication with people for some time and it's even okay to not talk to me for days but it's not okay to neglect your health. I asked her to let me help her with things or organising her schedule and I asked her to see her doctor soon which is really important for her mental health. I just wanted to let her know that I'm there for her and she's not alone.
But that pissed her off. She said that she doesn't care if she's alone, and that she is tired of me writing the same kind of encouraging texts again and again. She said that we are over since I cannot understand anything.
We have gone through this before a hundred times so idk if we're broken up or it was one of her really bad crisis. She deals with a condition called hypersensitivity and besides that she deals with autism and ADHD. There's a list of issues she deals with so I can understand that she can have really bad crisis at times.
But if I cannot write her supportive texts or do anything for her, am I just supposed to sit and watch her suffering through her deteriorating mental health. I don't know what to do anymore. She doesn't want me to be there for her. Maybe she doesn't want me around anymore. She already has a lot to deal with already and maybe a relationship isn't exactly helping her, especially when she feels like I can't understand anything.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I'm sorry you are sad and cry at night, it is a difficult situation you are in.

Sometimes a potential partner is good if living close, but if living far, it is no longer a good idea. Perhaps if there is no possibility of living closer, you should both find a different partner who lives closer. It is sad but long distance does not always work out.