My partner has 1 reoccurring voice

R

Renee2018

My partner has 1 reoccurring voice. She can describe the way she looks, and she isn’t a friendly voice. She tells her horrible things and my girlfriend is really starting to suffer. She is seeking professional help with the help of me, but I was looking for some support and information so I can help to support her correctly. I know there is nothing I can say or do to take it away from her, and it kills me to see her suffering.

A few years ago she battled with this voice and she has recently come back after a couple of years without it. It is the same voice and she looks and sounds the same my partner says. She is afraid to speak to me sometimes because she thinks the voice is listening and says the voice will get angry with her. She has had a lot on her plate lately and is always putting everyone else before herself. She has been so stressed out, could this have triggered it to come back?

L

lowinmood

I think by being loving, understanding, and patient with her, and be there to listen to her is all you can do.

When I heard voices for the first time, I didn't really have anyone to turn and it was a frightening experience to go through it on your own. So having someone there who will listen to you, and be kind to you, is a really good thing.

It sounds like to me, that you care about her, and that's a good thing for her while she's experiencing this.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Yes, I believe stress and anxiety can make psychotic symptoms flare up again in people that are susceptible to them. I recommend you help her do stress lowering things and anxiety lowering things. Look at her current life in general and try to find ways to lower her stress. Also maybe go on a low stress vacation or something like that. Exercise is good for treating stress too.

A

Akardy

I do believe stress, in my case about physical illness, was the main factor in me starting to hear voices.

Does she know it isn't real? In my experience that's at least half the battle, excepting is just isn't really there. It's a thought, a malevolent thought that you don't want and struggle to get rid of but a thought...not an entity that's separate from you, not something that can influence the world in any way apart from the other thoughts that it can cause in you.

DiAnna

DiAnna

I do believe stress, in my case about physical illness, was the main factor in me starting to hear voices.

Does she know it isn't real? In my experience that's at least half the battle, excepting is just isn't really there. It's a thought, a malevolent thought that you don't want and struggle to get rid of but a thought...not an entity that's separate from you, not something that can influence the world in any way apart from the other thoughts that it can cause in you.
Well stated, best description I have heard so far!