• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

my opinion of myself is based on the opinion of others

L

lifecangetbetter

essentially if someone tells me i'm something let's say "really smart" i will believe it despite what my own opinion of myself is. basically i've noticed a pattern throughout my life that im VERY easily manipulated, and basically have no spine. i will listen to others because i trust their judgment more than mine, and hold them on a pedestal and feel disconnected from them. i have an appointment to see a psychiatrist in a few days but im wondering what this could possibly be? anyone else experience something similar?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Sounds like codependency.
Is this how you feel?

"A codependent is someone who cannot function on their own and whose thinking and behavior is instead organized around another person, process, or substance. Many codependents place a lower priority on their own needs, while being excessively preoccupied with the needs of others."

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Thats usually just a sign of low self esteem. You should know who you are and be comfortable in that. Treat other peoples opinions as that, not facts.

L

lifecangetbetter

Sounds like codependency.
Is this how you feel?

"A codependent is someone who cannot function on their own and whose thinking and behavior is instead organized around another person, process, or substance. Many codependents place a lower priority on their own needs, while being excessively preoccupied with the needs of others."
Yes!! Is this common with bpd or schizophrenia. This exactly me, it's really frustrating

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I'm glad I could help. I'm suffering from depression, so I don't know the answers to your other questions.

L

lifecangetbetter

Thats usually just a sign of low self esteem. You should know who you are and be comfortable in that. Treat other peoples opinions as that, not facts.
It's easy to tell myself that but it's difficult to actually apply it. Like the background thought is that they're right, I'm wrong