• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My on-going journal of different Antidepressants and dosages I have been on & how they have affected me. Do they do anything?

TylersOutlet24

TylersOutlet24

Hi all,

Its been this year 2020 - That i really admitted to myself, family and work that I have been suffering with depression/anxiety. For a number of years I buried my head in the sand about the issue, I now want to sort the problem out, I cannot keep living like this! I exclaimed many times.

After years of suffering, it triggered in my brain - Action speaks louder than words , you need to do something about this! Looking at the exterior of a person does not tell you much if not anything about their mental health. You need to speak up, get help, and bring this to the fore - people cant guess your suffering. This is one of the best things I have ever done - I am still in the doldrums but speaking about it to people can be compared to emptying your thoughts out of a window - or turning a relief valve on when the pressure is to high.

After contacting my General Practitioner and explaining my condition to him. It was suggested to start taking Antidepressants (SSRI's).The Antidepressant I very first started on was 20MG Citalopram.
Citalopram: an antidepressant.

What I understood about how the tablet worked from research before hand
  1. Works by increasing Serotonin levels - (The happy hormone)
  2. After two of three weeks, will be fully in your system should start to notice effects
  3. Is a powdered mixture tablet which when took works with neurotransmitters in the brain to help mood
I had to take this tablet every day, I did this each morning before travelling to work. Initially - I would say after two weeks, I did start to notice positive effects from the tablets. I did start to feel..
  • Initially more Energy
  • Clearer mind
  • Calmer
  • Brighter more positive thoughts
  • Smiling more making jokes
  • More light hearted (less serious)
  • Less gloom
  • Less nervous - although still present
  • I could speak better
All these benefits was like a absolute breath of fresh air for me, even close family and friends around me started to notice. Constantly asking me why I seemed to be on such a high. To me inside though - I really didn't notice, but to people who see you everyday of course they will see this.

After I would say 3-4 months of taking these tablets however I did start to notice serious side effects..
  • Weakness
  • Sickness every morning
  • The worst stomach acid and heartburn
  • Physical morning sickness
  • Could not concentrate on things again
  • Headaches
I spoke to the doctors about this - stating that when I first started to take these I really did experience such a initial high like a breath of fresh air. He suggested to me that perhaps the drug has flatlined and my body may have got used to it and actually may have rejected it, hence the symptoms.

From that meeting it was decided to downgrade to 10MG from the 20 I was on.

These was a slightly physically and dosage wise smaller tablet to take. Still one a day. I found these to be non effective - not strong enough for me maybe, I did get some positives from it although not as strong, but at least the physical side effects stopped.

As I didn't feel the 10MG's was giving me the mental benefits that the 20MG's did I decided to change to a different type of Antidepressant. 20MG Fluoxetine aka Prozac.

I have only been on these for a week, two week period so too early to note any effects positive or negative from them. I will update in future the more I have took the more I will notice benefits, side effects etc. This is a personal Antidepressant experience journal and will be updated accordingly as I go on.

What is your experience with Antidepressants?

What have you took?

How have you found them, has it changed anything for you?

Until the next journal update on these.

Kind Regards

Attachments

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have never had many problems with antidepressants. Any major side effects happen early on and so i change to another.

M

MayPan

I personally didn't get any side effects from my antidepressants (Citalopram or called Celexa) and I've been on them for about 6 months on 20mg (similar story to you, 2020 was my year to look after my mental heath). It also took me a while to feel the positive effects. I'd say like a month. It can effect people differently so I hope you find the tablet that fits you. I kind of feel like the tablets have worn off but it might be just because I have to work on myself i.e, exercise, attending my therapy sessions, eating well, journal etc. Make sure you are doing other things along side the antidepressant to help you though. I believe that the tablets help to lead you in the right direction, you have to do the pedaling.

Again, I wish you all the best!

D

Daveyboy

Jesus that was a long post. Glad you came to the reality of addressing you depression. Took me years to accept mine. Like you I have taken fluxotine did me a lot of good things. Only side affect I had was it makes you worse before it makes you better. I had suicidal thoughts. But was told if I could get past them the drug would work. And it did. In my experience drinking alcohol and antidepressants certainly don’t work. So I stopped. If you cannot stop seriously cut down you drinking it is a depressive. Along with this I received CBT coucillng
As well as trying to understand the illness by reading/ reasearching it if your that way inclined. If so a good book is depressive Illness (curse of the strong) by Dr Tim cantopher Not a long book and not over complicated. Really helped me. Recomend to anyone suffering depression. My experience is antidepressants will only take you so far. The rest is up to you. Hope this helps or not can only give you my experience. Stay strong you have do the hardest bit by admitting it to yourself and everyone else.