• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

my official diagnosis and appointment today

S

shalee

today i met with my wonderful psychiatrist, for what was supposed to be a half hour 'check up' and ended up being a two hour session complete with audio/visual recordings of our meeting. he wanted us to have it all on tape so that we can look back on our meetings over time, and see how things have changed.

my formal diagnosis was given. bipolar type 1 with mixed states.

i'm still confused though because i was put on citalopram a month ago...which, according to my drug guide, can escalate manic episodes. so am i REALLY bipolar type 1, or was it just drug-induced and really i'm totally fine? i don't know...i know this is probably a bit of denial taking.

for the next two weeks i am being put on lorazepam prn and olanzapine once daily. i'm not really sure what the point of this is, because i sort of expected to be put on a mood stabilizer/antidepressant combo. but i'm sure this man has a plan in mind..he is a fantastic psychiatrist.

he said he will likely not put me on lithium, as this can sometimes 'dull' mania to the point of losing your creativity...which i want so badly to hold on to because it is a huge part of who i am. so i think he is trying to sort out what a good drug combo will be for me.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

At least you can start trying too accept the diagnosis and once the meds are sorted you can start living your life again :)

D

Dollit

I wouldn't write of lithium completely because I take it and have done for quite a while and it dulls nothing in me. I'm just as creative and productive - in fact a little more so because I can concentrate. But there are other mood stabilizers on the market that can work equally as well.

As for the "maybe you weren't because it was the medication" well most people do that argument with themselves at one point. Speaking from one who fought my diagnosis for more years than strictly necessary, it's actually better to work on acceptance.

Good luck and keep coming back.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Diagnosis...its official Bipolar Forum 15
FallenAngel ***The Official Mike v Quetipaine Thread*** Bipolar Forum 12
Talula67 Recommended reading re- Recent Bipolar diagnosis please. Bipolar Forum 9
I Bipolar II Diagnosis Uncertainty/Confusion/Concern Bipolar Forum 36
A Diagnosis Bipolar Forum 18
G Struggling with diagnosis Bipolar Forum 3
P I disagree with my "mood disorder" diagnosis Bipolar Forum 8
J Recent Bipolar diagnosis - girlfriend split up with me Bipolar Forum 24
B New experience and diagnosis Bipolar Forum 2
Sea_Green Cyclothymia? Diagnosis? Treatment? Bipolar Forum 11
S Recent Diagnosis Bipolar Forum 14
F My fiancee has left the country due to depression and immediately received a Cyclothymia diagnosis Bipolar Forum 1
P Did you disclose your diagnosis with your employer? Bipolar Forum 14
G Getting a cyclothymia diagnosis Bipolar Forum 6
W Scared to Tell the Truth. Scared of diagnosis. Bipolar Forum 5
D My Counsellor and I think I might be Bipolar. I’m too scared to get a diagnosis. Bipolar Forum 46
HLon99 Bipolar disorder diagnosis Do you tell your friends? Bipolar Forum 28
Zana Bipolar Diagnosis Advice Bipolar Forum 3
AnxiousE My diagnosis and journey-a journal Bipolar Forum 11
A Diagnosis & Medication Changes Bipolar Forum 1
Urban Hermit Finally have a clinical diagnosis.... Bipolar Forum 18
L Unknown Diagnosis Bipolar Forum 1
V Mid 40s Diagnosis. Clarity is horrifying. Bipolar Forum 6
A How do you go about getting a diagnosis? Bipolar Forum 3
A Understanding and accepting diagnosis. Bipolar Forum 3
S Diagnosis is straight up voodoo Bipolar Forum 3
B Previous Bi-Polar diagnosis I denied and refused treatment. Bipolar Forum 0
P Why won't doctors give me a specific diagnosis? Bipolar Forum 2
M New to the diagnosis Bipolar Forum 1
A 20+ year diagnosis Bipolar Forum 2
J New Diagnosis Bipolar Forum 3
A Telling my mom about my diagnosis Bipolar Forum 7
M New Member with a fresh diagnosis Bipolar Forum 6
H new diagnosis Bipolar Forum 5
M Diagnosis and medication woes - should I seek second opinion? Bipolar Forum 5
A Diagnosed with bipolar II recently(had the wrong diagnosis), will it ever get better? I feel lost Bipolar Forum 2
E Confused with diagnosis vs billing Bipolar Forum 1
T Bipolar-No diagnosis, GP thinks i have it, several years ago psychiatrist very unhelpful. Bipolar Forum 4
C confused about diagnosis Bipolar Forum 19
B How long do you last inbetween psychotic episodes and how many have you experienced since diagnosis please? Bipolar Forum 2
cpuusage Bipolar Diagnosis Linked to Childhood Adversity Bipolar Forum 204
B Given a different diagnosis today - I'm gutted, scared and didn't see it coming :( Bipolar Forum 28
J Being heard for diagnosis Bipolar Forum 2
M Its so frustrating not having the correct diagnosis Bipolar Forum 1
S Bpd and bipolar dual diagnosis? Bipolar Forum 17
S Satirical video about (mis)diagnosis and (mis)treatment of bipolar disorder Bipolar Forum 2
Faylen Diagnosis back and forth Bipolar Forum 6
D Will nhs accept private diagnosis? Bipolar Forum 17
M confused about diagnosis Bipolar Forum 6
B dealing with the diagnosis Bipolar Forum 4