• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My ocd

TEDDYBEAR

TEDDYBEAR

I have suffered with ocd for years now, maybe even since back to my teens, I'm 35, its rituals with me, rituals of checking things, it gets me down, I find it very debilitating, it certainly prevents me from living a normal life, I'm worse at night, have to check and re-check, sometimes I just think I'm A weirdo but I know I'm not.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lyra

Founding Member
Hi - I'm the same. Can't get out of the house for weeks cos of the checking. I see you have the misfortune to live in lincolnshire too. What is the help like in Gainsburgh - its carp down here in the south of the county - no help at all even if you are suicidal.

TEDDYBEAR

TEDDYBEAR

Thanx for your comments Lyra, my GP has been very sympathetic, I was on prozac, now citalopram, sometimes I think they're only making my problems worse, my checking only really affects me at night, I think it all came about due to feeling responsible for my Mum and brothers safety after Dad died.

TEDDYBEAR

L

Lyra

Founding Member
My Gp is ok but I am under the mental health trust as well and they are absolutely awful.
They really don't care at all - the so called 24 hour crisis line often has no-one on the other end to answer the phone and they leave you weeks without support or contact even when you are suicidal and totally house bound.
Have you asked for CBT to help with the checking - I did but am still on drugs which don't work and CBT has not been forthcoming so far.

TEDDYBEAR

TEDDYBEAR

So far Lyra I have only been under my doctor, I feel I'm getting worse and should be asking for more help, although Mum reckons I should try and get myself out of it, I know she's right but its not easy.

TEDDYBEAR

T

Twylight

My Ocd is bad when leaving the house (checking), unless i'm a bad mood or drunk - it all seems to be ' state of mind '

It gets to point when you check things and say ' sod it ' - I've done my best and i'm gonna forget it and get on with the day

TEDDYBEAR

TEDDYBEAR

I know what you meet Twlight, I think it has alot to do with state of mind, sometimes I'm more affected, some-times I just don't care.

A

asm1006

Hello
I have had this myself for years, and at its worst I sat in the middle of the room on my hands to try and stop myself! I used to check so many times with one hand the repeat with the next, and if I got it wrong I had to do it again 'in case something bad happened'.
I have had CBT, and a fair few antidepressants. What worked for me is sertraline. It has totally transformed my OCD, and rarely get it badly now and laugh at my 'mad moments'! Good luck hun.x

TEDDYBEAR

TEDDYBEAR

asm 1006, sounds like a good plan, I'm currently taking citalopram which I don't think are working at all, I think you come to the stage where you just think sod it and you can't be bothered to check, I've heard others say this but it just won't let me.

T

Twylight

OCD is wierd - it seem to be 'the fear of worrying'.

Mine started one Xmas, I wanted to sort everything so I could enjoy a worry free Xmas

TEDDYBEAR

TEDDYBEAR

Exactly, then you just give yourself more to worry about, I'm seeing a counseller tuesday, donno what good he'll do me, stress brings mine on more.
XXX