My Obsession with Dr. Peter Breggin

D

dragonboy46

Hi all,

I'm going through very difficult times right now and just don't know what to do anymore. I will try to explain my best, so here's what happened.

I was taking medication for my anxiety and just doing okay and I started searching some stuff online. I think it was to do with medication withdrawal. I went to YouTube and there I found his series about "Simple truths about Psychiatry" so I started looking more into it. Whatever he talked about Psychiatry felt so real and true and it just matched my heart completely. Now I keep trying to find him and contact him in any way I could... but he's not reachable. I just have faith in that doctor and would like to put my health in his hands. Don't know what happened. I just looked his videos and it felt so real and true and matched with me.

Here are my feelings right now:

1.) If there's any doctor I trust in the whole world, it's him.
2.) I would like HIM to take care of my mental health problems and eventually get me off of medications.
3.) I think I'm in love with him because what he said was very true.
4.) I find myself talking to him all the time
5.) I see him with me and he's everywhere
6.) I have FAITH in him. What he can offer, nobody else can.
7.) I just want him. Period.
8.) For me, He's an Angel. Like he's a HERO.
9.) It's a special desire to get treated by him and be in his hands.
10.) It feels good to be with him.

The problem?

- He doesn't live in my country and he's not reachable.
- I just can't find any way to reach him out for help or get an appointment with him.

I don't know what to do anymore... and please don't tell me that I have psychosis or anything like that. I NEVER had it.

Please try to understand my feelings. It's a special desire. I don't know what I've asked from life and I'm not getting what I asked for. I asked for a drug-free recovery but in return I'm getting the opposite of what I really wanted i.e more drugs. I have become Anti-Psychiatry.

Let me know your thoughts on this issue & please try to be helpful.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Dear dragonboy, I have read Dr. Peter Breggin's book on how to quit psyche drugs successfully. You do not need him. The reason he wrote his books was to reach many more people than he can see in person. He wrote those books for people like us. We learn from him and are able to make changes in our medications. You do not need to have an obsession for him personally. He wants you to learn what he's teaching. He doesn't want you to worship him.

I used his method of 10% reduction every three months and was thereby able to cut back my lithium.

E

exyz

Hello there DragonBoy,

Welcome to the forum. Peter Breggin is very impressive and I have a lot of respect for him.
As Poopy says he does not want people to fall in love or worship him. He just wants to help us and other pdocs to understand the real issues.

He does have a Facebook group. Here is a link to his site and if you look at the left hand side, at the bottom of the list, is the group which anyone can join.
All good wishes to you.
index

C

Cristel25

Hello everyone, I hope everything is fine, for what you want to speak I am free

C

Cristel25

hello to all i would like to ask you advice so if anyone can help me i'm free to talk to him

L

la femme folle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi all,

I'm going through very difficult times right now and just don't know what to do anymore. I will try to explain my best, so here's what happened.

I was taking medication for my anxiety and just doing okay and I started searching some stuff online. I think it was to do with medication withdrawal. I went to YouTube and there I found his series about "Simple truths about Psychiatry" so I started looking more into it. Whatever he talked about Psychiatry felt so real and true and it just matched my heart completely. Now I keep trying to find him and contact him in any way I could... but he's not reachable. I just have faith in that doctor and would like to put my health in his hands. Don't know what happened. I just looked his videos and it felt so real and true and matched with me.

Here are my feelings right now:

1.) If there's any doctor I trust in the whole world, it's him.
2.) I would like HIM to take care of my mental health problems and eventually get me off of medications.
3.) I think I'm in love with him because what he said was very true.
4.) I find myself talking to him all the time
5.) I see him with me and he's everywhere
6.) I have FAITH in him. What he can offer, nobody else can.
7.) I just want him. Period.
8.) For me, He's an Angel. Like he's a HERO.
9.) It's a special desire to get treated by him and be in his hands.
10.) It feels good to be with him.

The problem?

- He doesn't live in my country and he's not reachable.
- I just can't find any way to reach him out for help or get an appointment with him.

I don't know what to do anymore... and please don't tell me that I have psychosis or anything like that. I NEVER had it.

Please try to understand my feelings. It's a special desire. I don't know what I've asked from life and I'm not getting what I asked for. I asked for a drug-free recovery but in return I'm getting the opposite of what I really wanted i.e more drugs. I have become Anti-Psychiatry.

Let me know your thoughts on this issue & please try to be helpful.
Hi dragonboy46.

I can identify with some of what you say here. But this is definitely an unhealthy obsession, and you need to stop idealising him and hero worshipping him. He is just a human being who as others have said is trying to help those who have been diagnosed as mentally ill by the mh system, nothing more.

It is easy to get carried away and fantasise about someone you have put on a pedestal, but I can guarantee you that is you did meet him the reality would be very different. He would not appreciate it at all, he would probably find it disturbing. Sorry to be blunt about it, but having had personal experience of this kind of thing I can tell you it is best to try and be more grounded in reality.

I don't know what country you live in but I know in the UK there are plenty of doctors who have similar views on the harm psychiatric drugs can do. The one that springs immediately to mind is Dr Joanna Moncrieff. I think the main thing is that if you get help from anyone, it probably should not be Peter Breggin, as it might just feed into your obsession.

Also you must remember that all of the people who wish to help others with reducing/coming off meds and who are critical of psychiatry are human beings; I would not want you to transfer the obsessive thoughts onto someone else. They might be complete arseholes in real life, they always say never meet your heroes for that reason. Nobody's perfect, not even those who appear to be, lol.

I am trying to love myself more and have more respect for myself, as I don't think people that have these things would do this kind of thing. I might be wrong, I know lots of 8 year old girls do this with members of boy bands all the time, which for me as a 43 year old woman makes it all even more embarrassing. But for me personally I am aware that I have issues with myself that need to be addressed; and I know you cannot truly love another person unless you love yourself.

I don't know your circumstances but Dr Peter Breggin is realistically completely unavailable, from a romantic/sexual perspective, if I have assumed wrong that you have those kind of feelings for him then I apologise. You could try and contact him in some way but given the unhealthy feelings you have for him it might not be a good idea. Of course it is up to you if you choose to do so, but all I can say is that if you want more than just advice then be prepared to get hurt. I am certainly picking that up from what you have written, and as I say if I am wrong about that I apologise.

Take care of yourself. :hug1:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Midnight.Panda Mental Health Experiences 7