• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My nephew, Bipolar

G

Gratefultobewell

About a year ago my nephew left home, stayed with a friend’s family, got kicked out, drove through five states getting traffic tickets in each state, totaled the car, got arrested (a whole other story), was bailed out, and that night, staying with my sister in a hotel, tried to hook up with someone. At the time I thought he was manic. Now he is buying clothes, more and more clothes, and I don’t know what else. My sister thinks he is manic, and he thinks he has bipolar. He has been treated for depression in the past, and was in a partial hospitalization program for it. He was taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin. He talked with a psychiatric nurse practitioner, she took him off Zoloft and so now he is only on the Wellbutrin. What do you all think of that? Do you think he was/is manic? It sounds like it from my viewpoint, so I was surprised by this.

K

keith74

About a year ago my nephew left home, stayed with a friend’s family, got kicked out, drove through five states getting traffic tickets in each state, totaled the car, got arrested (a whole other story), was bailed out, and that night, staying with my sister in a hotel, tried to hook up with someone. At the time I thought he was manic. Now he is buying clothes, more and more clothes, and I don’t know what else. My sister thinks he is manic, and he thinks he has bipolar. He has been treated for depression in the past, and was in a partial hospitalization program for it. He was taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin. He talked with a psychiatric nurse practitioner, she took him off Zoloft and so now he is only on the Wellbutrin. What do you all think of that? Do you think he was/is manic? It sounds like it from my viewpoint, so I was surprised by this.
If he bipolar and prone to mania, then he needs to think about getting off the antidepressants. They can potentially fuel mania in bipolar people.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Could well be, but a strange move to take him off the softer antidepressant and leave him on the stronger one alone. Either way, antidepressants and Bipolar, especially if it's Bipolar 1 (true mania) shouldn't be anywhere near each other in my view. He needs to see a psych as soon as possible really.

C

cbpolar

Sound a lot like symptoms of bipolar. When you mentioned mania + depression it sent up a flag.

What has worked for me is regular visits to a psychiatrist and therapy when it is affordable. The tough thing in your nephew's case might be maintaining those visits. If money is an issue and he has healthcare through an employer or healthcare.gov (Affordable Care Act) as an adult there are free telehealth options. Now more than ever the government is offering increased subsidies that go towards my premium based on income.

To give you an idea, pre-pandemic I was receiving $200 towards a $670 premium. After the latest relief bills passed I receive double the subsidies so essentially I pay $170 per month for decent healthcare insurance. This is for everyone earning under $54k.

As long as I stay on a healthy regimen which includes regular Dr. visits, therapy, discipline in taking my meds, regular sleep and healthy connection with family and friends I do ok. This has worked for me. Not saying that I don't still have episodes now and again but I am more prepared to deal with them and adjust my medications with consult from my Dr. if they start to get out of control.

I hope this is helps your family somewhat and pray that he is doing well and has been able to get the care that he needs!

G

Gratefultobewell

Thanks for your input everyone. My nephew is only 24, so luckily he is still on my sister’s insurance. So we’ll have to see what happens.

G

Gratefultobewell

Here’s another question for you all. Can anger be a symptom of mania? I haven’t heard that before, but he’s been very angry with my sister, yelling at her. I haven’t experienced that myself.

K

keith74

Here’s another question for you all. Can anger be a symptom of mania? I haven’t heard that before, but he’s been very angry with my sister, yelling at her. I haven’t experienced that myself.
Yes, anger is quite common in mania... especially dysphoric (mixed) mania. But it also can happen during depressive and euphoric mania also. That is because the during an episode, you can be very irritable and prone to lashing out.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Yes anger is a symptom of mania in some people.
Are you able to get him to a doctor? That is what i would do.
Perhaps you could phone the doctor for advice, if you cannot get him there.
He certainly sounds unwell.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Wellbutrin is a type of antidepressant, from what i have just read. It doesn't sound like it is helping, perhaps causing mania but he would need to be assessed. He made need a mood stabiliser such as Lithium.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

may want to get him to see a proper doctor. pretty Sure you’d be fired if you put him on that here without proper input.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I've said it before on here, I think they do it as a kind of experiment in some people that they think might have Bipolar and if the antidepressants tip them over the edge that helps them make their minds up with regards to diagnosis. Just my opinion, but I've seen them do it so often now I can't believe it would be just sloppy or free script writing.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

I can’t think of any reasonable diagnosis that would put you on that. it makes no sense from basically every prescribing guideline.

D

dansell123

Can you get a second opinion from another licensed professional? It might be good to get more than one perspective so that your nephew gets the optimal treatment.