• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My mother suffers from bipolar disorder

L

lostinthematrix

Hi, I am new to the forum so I hope I have posted in the right topic.

I dont even know where to start.... Officially she was diagnosed 10 years ago but she doesnt believe in psychiatry so she doesnt take any medication. I think she has suffered from bipolar disorder since she was born.

Right at this very moment I have to endure the worst insults from her because I dared to criticize her SLIGHTLY (I asked her to not tell me the same sad story from her past over and over again because she herself told me she only wants to think positive thoughts now and it bothers me too).

As usual she is talking on the phone to my sister complaining about me, how dare I insult her in the worst possible manner after all she has done for me, even though I am the worst daughter in the world. She says she is such a wonderful person and everyone is taking advantage of her and nobody appreciates her after all she is doing for everyone.

I know she is sick but I get so frustrated I want to scream and cry. There is nothing I can say to her because she either misinterprets everything I say or she doesnt even understand what I mean. Often she forgets what she said to me and claims the next day that I SAID what she actually said. If I try to explain that the opposite happened, she gets so aggressive.

She continues telling me how every miserable thing in our family is my fault.

Guys, how can I deal with it, what can I say if she doesnt let me finish one sentence and falsely interprets my words and instead brings out EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE from my past? And all just because I asked her not to tell a specific story over and over again....

Z

Zoe1

hi lostinthematrix :welcome: !

I'm sorry to hear this

so how is this affecting you ? do you live with her ?
do you have your own mental health issues

I think the first thing to do is make some space for yourself
either in the house or by moving out

spend more time with friends and other relatives
if they are supportive of you

you deserve to have supportive people in your life
that are kind to you
and take your mind off mum

:grouphug:🔥☀✨:goodluck:

Caracol

Caracol

She sounds like my borderline personality disorder father. It was misery living with him and I, too, was the scapegoat. I hid away as much as I could, avoided him and did a lot of smiling and nodding. If you have the option to be apart from her, I recommend it. If not, we're here for you to vent to! Honestly, you can't argue with someone who is years deep into not dealing with their mental illness. You have to take care of yourself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Bipolar Forum 2
A Bipolar Forum 19