• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

my mother is going through some weird psychological stuff ?

E

enyrb

Hello guys, Over the past 5/6 years my mum has been demonstrating some psychological issues. This issues is deemed to be demon possession according to our christian church. I'm a bit reluctant to whether that's really the reason though, I'm more inclined to see this as a case of depression. When this issues happen, she talks, acts like possessed for a very short period of time, till we have to pray and everything goes back to normal. The "possessions" happen only when something really bad happen in the family and she can't do anything about it. She is a really happy woman apart from that and we are really close family too. It's been nearly 3 years she hasn't had anything but now that her mother came to visit her after 5 years, she has been presencing the "possessions" occasions again. The symptons before she becomes "possessed" is excessive tiredness, headaches, sadness and sometimes a few unusual smell she claim she can sense. I'm deff puzzled as to what is happening to my mum? I don't know where to take her so she can get some help? psychologist ? psyquiatrist ? pastor ? Does anyone in here know or have presenced any similar story ? What might that be ? Is my mum trying to escape from herself and being extreme bipolar during these occasions ? Thanks for reading all this.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi enyrb

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

This a good place for information, help and support, with lots of friendly members.

Having said that, we can't say what could be your mother's problem. I see you think she may have bipolar disorder or be suffering from depression. It could be so. For a diagnosis you would need to see a psychiatrist. How long do these 'episodes' last? If brief, it may be worth looking into alternative sources of help.

Best wishes, Sarah

E

enyrb

Hi enyrb

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

This a good place for information, help and support, with lots of friendly members.

Having said that, we can't say what could be your mother's problem. I see you think she may have bipolar disorder or be suffering from depression. It could be so. For a diagnosis you would need to see a psychiatrist. How long do these 'episodes' last? If brief, it may be worth looking into alternative sources of help.

Best wishes, Sarah
hank you so much for the reply. I was never able to talk about this outside the understanding that we were taught at church, These episodes have been happening really for over 10 years now, on and off. The longest time between each episode being one year and half. When our family, my parents, my sister and I used to be church members the episodes were more frequent, longer - one case my mum was in such state for over 8 hours, coming on and off. When we were at church, the episodes were a lot worse. I understand that church sort of bombarded my mum's mind with all the mystic stuff and now we could only attribute the "Possessions" as something spiritual. I've never really believed that since my mum , generally, is a really happy person and so are we as a family. I understand my mum had a difficult upbrigning and she regrets lots of stuff she done in her past as well, not to say that her self steem is pretty low, but again generally she is really happy with everything else.
To be honest, The episodes are pretty scary really, she becomes completely different, her voice changes - the "entity" starts saying she will kill my mum and laughs a lot in an ironic way, and all this sort of bad stuff. My sister helps praying when this happen and usually within 10-20mins, my mum is back to herself again. She once said she could see us praying but she was kindda trapped within her own body. After each episode my mum feels like nothing happened. She is aware when it's about to happen and after when she "wakes up". At the beginning she was pretty sad about it but now over the years , strange as it may sound, we don't talk about it after each episode finishes. My dad is usually pretty scared about everything, for this reason he doesn't help much. Her family has a looong past of involviment in spirutialism and religion which I think clearly affects her. A good clue to raise is that my uncle, my mum's brother, also experienced the same type of phychosis, he used to be "possessed" but in a very different way than my mum, he used to be calm and liked to act all cultured if that makes any sense. It's important to notice, i think, that the past episodes, when my mum was in that state, she was laughing and saying it was depression.
Needless to say that all this affect us tremendly. This events, in some way, brought my family really close together. My sister is now 30 and just got a baby and I live at the uni campus which is far from my parents. We are kind of hopeless now that it's been a good 10 years the episodes really started. We don't know what to do anymore. My mum shows no other sympton apart from this, she is an exceptional loving caring mum. I just wish this could be fixed. Thanks for reading/replying.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi again enyrb

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been offline.

As I understand it, you and your family no longer attend the church? When it was happening before, did the church offer any help since it was deemed to be possession? I know some churches, although believing in possession, do also acknowledge mental illness. I would have thought they would have attempted to help. No disrespect intended but was it a Church with a good reputation? There are some aspects which sound like possession (but I really know very little about this). It could be worth finding an expert on this kind,of problem who could advise if it is possible and how it could be treated.

Some aspects do sound like psychosis, and the fact that your uncle also has strange experiences, sometimes there is a family history of these problems. But then you also said the family has a long relationship with religion.

The thing I am not sure about is that the extreme state your mother is in during these episodes usually only lasts a matter of minutes, although you say once it was on and off for eight hours. I don't know enough to say what is happening. If it is short-lived and with long periods I between without problems I would hesitate to see a psychiatrist because the remedy they favour is drugs, which can help, but once on the drugs you often stay on them a long time and they can have serious side effects. So it is a balance between how serious these episodes are and how bad an effect they have on your mother, and the possible harms that could come from effective treatment.

I think one worry you have is that your sister is busy with a new baby (congratulations!) and you are away at uni, and your Dad finds it hard to deal with when it happens. So it is harder to support your mother.

Has she ever done anything dangerous while in these states? Do you think she or others are at risk?

I don't want you to take this as any firm advice, but my inclination would be to find an expert in possession in an established Church, probably to rule that out. Then to consider psychiatric help if it is not possible to deal with otherwise.

Sarah

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
[Have copied this post from a reply i made here - Is there a connection between demon and hearing voices? - Forums at Psych Central

i think a lot of it comes down to different perspectives & opinions]

It's certainly an area that has been deeply explored by some people -

Spirit Release Forum

Spirit Release Forum - Background

A few books on the subject -

Tom Zinser - soul centered healing

The unquiet dead - By Edith Fiore

Schizophrenia or Spirit Possession
by Mr Mike Williamson

Ghosts And Earthbound Spirits: Recognise and release the spirits trapped in this world
by Linda Williamson

Spirit Releasement Therapy: A Technique Manual
by William J. Baldwin, Edith Fiore

Healing Lost Souls: Releasing Unwanted Spirits from Your Body
by William J. Baldwin

Many others. Lets also not forget Shamanism.

Step away from the orthodox/mainstream, dig a bit below the surface, & there are vast areas to these experiences. i've done a lot of reading & research into a lot of different areas - spirit release, depth & transpersonal psychology, philosophy, comparative religion, consciousness studies (NDE & OBE), Esoteric & Occult areas, all sorts.

These areas can also cover -

1. Shamanic crisis
2. Awakening of Kundalini
3. Episodes of unitive consciousness (Maslow's "peak experiences")
4. Psychological renewal through return to the center (John Perry)
5. Crisis of psychic opening
6. Past-life experiences
7. Communication with spirit guides and "channeling"
8. Near-death experiences (NDEs)
9. Close encounters with UFOs and alien abduction experiences
10. Possession states
11. Alcoholism and drug addiction

Spiritual Emergencies: Understanding and Treatment of Psychospiritual Crises - Reality Sandwich

i've also worked with some highly competent spiritual healers over the past 13 years.

This is one of the more interesting documents i've come across as to what is happening in psychosis/schizophrenia from a more metaphysical perspective (links on left) -

Schizophrenia

It is still hard to come to any categorical answers/conclusions. Personally i accept the diagnosis & take the pills. i have made a lot of progress, but i also feel that there are still certain difficulties.

i don't think anyone has a categorical answer to these experiences/conditions. Best i can come up with is an integral/holistic approach & understanding - that there are the realms of the spiritual, psyche & physical. That we are mind, body & soul within environment & effected by all levels. i take a bio/psycho/social/spiritual model - i don't see things as 'either/or'. There are variables (interrelated/interdependent) on physiological/biologic, psychological/emotional, social/environmental & spiritual/transpersonal levels.

How i see it all anyway.

A good book that acknowledges the psychiatric & spiritual, by an expert in both is - 'Healing the split' by John Nelson -

Healing the Split

Last edited:
calypso

calypso

Admin
There is another possibility which should be ruled out before you think about psychiatry. Has your mum ever been tested for epilepsy? There are some kinds which don't involve fits, but these strange occurrences. The brain can be scrambled afterwards and come out with things. The only reason I say that is that you say it can last a few hours.

But that said, as going to the church makes it worse, it may well not be that. I don't believe in demon possession at all. I always think, "why on earth would a demon want to be in a person?" And if it was real, why aren't there thousands of people to which this is happening -it would be headline news. No, demons are for the Middle Ages and tales to frighten people to go into the church, in my opinion.

If your mum gets worse in the church, perhaps she is saying she doesn't want to be there? I definitely think she needs assessing, and smelling odd things can be an hallucination too. Maybe someone can help you and her understand what is really going on. Hold old is she? Does she have memory problems in daily life at all?

Try not to panic, there will be an explanation somewhere.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Oh I would add, CPU's links to possible shamanic evolution might be something to think about too. Odd I know, but it does happen for some people. But that might be for later on and might be too challenging an idea right now.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't believe in demon possession at all. I always think, "why on earth would a demon want to be in a person?" And if it was real, why aren't there thousands of people to which this is happening -it would be headline news. No, demons are for the Middle Ages and tales to frighten people to go into the church, in my opinion.
i do seriously question if demons even exist - But i don't doubt that there are earth bound/discarnate souls - i think it entirely possible, for many reasons that these spirits can enter/attach to living humans.