My mother is a vegetable

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

My mother had two consecutive strokes this past weekend and she is in a vegetative state, unresponsive. My son, who was taking care of her this past year, is devastated. My boyfriend and I are quite depressed. She may not pass for weeks or months. She will be in a nursing home. But we are already grieving.

FunkTheFear

FunkTheFear

So sorry to hear this poopy :( sending love to you and your family.
X

claude

claude

I'm so sorry Poopy. What a difficult situation for you and your family and a hard way to loose someone. Sending love to you and yours xx

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Sorry to hear this Poopy.

You and your family must be in shock.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Poopydoll,
I'm terribly sorry, sending my loving thoughts at this very difficult time.
My Nan had a stroke and struggled on for a few days.
Here to listen anytime.
Take care

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

I am so very sorry Poopy to hear this. you are in my thoughts what a tough time it must be for you all

Dunno if this is the right time to say this but I have a friend whose mother has had a few strokes 2 of which were severe and she has and continues to make astonishing progress.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

First, thank you all for your kindness. It means so much to me to be a part of this very special community.

Second, an update. She will not last weeks or months. They expect her only to last some days now.

I cannot travel there.

And it doesn't matter what one's spirituality is or religion is; it still is so hard severing the attachment.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

so sad Poppy and such a rapid adjustment to make that is very hard best be gentle with yourself if possible

claude

claude

Thinking of you Poopy. I can't imagine how complicated and difficult this time must be for you. I hope you are coping ok and getting good support

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

What's metta, Kerome ?? Well, here's the update. My mother passed last night at 11:33 PM. My son called me this morning to send me a fax. I had to sign for the cremation. I sent the paper back.

Now I find out that my sister wants to sit by the body at the funeral home which will cost $7000 for three days. My son cannot access that kind of money from my mothers accounts. My sister doesn't have the money. But she thinks my son could get it. I don't know if my sister will start yelling at me again. But basically I authorized them to proceed without her input. I am not there and she is, so she may feel she had more of a right to hold things up and demand to sit with the body. My mother made my son in charge of everything legally, not my sister. My Grandfather use to say, "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy".

You know, in the good old days, they would just lay Grandma out on the couch in the living room and all the relations would come to the house to pay their respects. Seven thousand dollars to sit with the deceased is really insane.

Last edited:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

My girlfriend H explained to me that my son does have access to my mother's money. But he thinks seven grand to sit with a body for three days is a selfish request, just for my sister. It's a lot of money and my mother wouldn't have agreed to this. Anyways, it's my son's decision. I'm just worried that she'll see the paperwork I signed and I'm expecting an angry phone call. She's a screamer and a guilt tripper. I can't even think about my mother because all I'm thinking about is my sister yelling at me.

Last edited: