• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My mom is having panic attacks

H

Hydra

Hi!

Me and my family had covid and was isolated for a week. In that period, many things happened which made my parents sad and stressed. Thus, my mom started having panic attacks again. Me and my mom's relationship is not that good emotionally, because of some things that has happened in the past. I'm not open to her about my feelings, but she is open to everybody with her feelings. I overhear when she's talking on the phone with her family and friends. She's not ok.
The doctor gave her pills for her depression and panic attacks, but she doesn't like to take them(but she does take them, i think, i'm not sure), because it makes her feel tired.
I don't know how to help her. She is obsessed with cleaning and order. She wants everything clean in the house, i help her with that, but i don't know how i can comfort her emotionally, because that is something out of my comfort zone. Yeah, i know, it's embarrassing that i can't even hug my mom and say "you're safe here. I love you. Everything will be ok".
I don't know why i even wrote this, it sounds like i know what to do, but i don't have the courage to do so.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It is hard to see people we care about not doing well. You sound like a very caring person. I love my mum but find it hard to hug her and say those sorts of things too.

Medication can make us tired but there are some that won't cause so much tiredness. Do you know what she is taking?

Many people use cleaning and organising as a way to cope and it is probably a healthier coping strategy than drinking or smoking or some other ways, as long as it is not excessive.

Can you encourage her to see her doctor again and discuss her concerns with the medication? Finding the right one can be life changing.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi!

Me and my family had covid and was isolated for a week. In that period, many things happened which made my parents sad and stressed. Thus, my mom started having panic attacks again. Me and my mom's relationship is not that good emotionally, because of some things that has happened in the past. I'm not open to her about my feelings, but she is open to everybody with her feelings. I overhear when she's talking on the phone with her family and friends. She's not ok.
The doctor gave her pills for her depression and panic attacks, but she doesn't like to take them(but she does take them, i think, i'm not sure), because it makes her feel tired.
I don't know how to help her. She is obsessed with cleaning and order. She wants everything clean in the house, i help her with that, but i don't know how i can comfort her emotionally, because that is something out of my comfort zone. Yeah, i know, it's embarrassing that i can't even hug my mom and say "you're safe here. I love you. Everything will be ok".
I don't know why i even wrote this, it sounds like i know what to do, but i don't have the courage to do so.
Maybe writing out your words of support in a letter or card would help? xo, j

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D My mom won’t accept my germaphobia or try to understand Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
Ras what does having Agoraphobia feel like? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
E Do I have anxiety or having a panic attack? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
D Having panic about my sexuality Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13
H Currently having a panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
soulsearcher Having a bad panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 11
L how exactly do you react while having a panic attack? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
K Thoughts I’m having today Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
buzzbuzz When having panic attacks, do you feel as if your heart rate is very low? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
frisas45 Has anyone dealt with the burden of taking care of someone, especially you having panic attacks as a result? How did you overcome them? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
T Started having panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
Y New here, been having really bad attacks tonight here's how I'm coping Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
Gajolene Does anyone remember me here, having a really rough time. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
C Having trouble dealing with no stress Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
stevie_sloth I didn't know I had panic attacks for 20 years Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
W Do I have a panic disorder? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
J A Different Kind Of Panic Attack This Week Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
I Coming from a country where people are not educated about panic attacks is difficult (a rant) Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
S Panic Attacks and Sertraline Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
N Scared it's not a panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
L Intense panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
Livingsacrifice Panic Attacks - Driving Paralyzes Me Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
M HELP! Panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
T Panic attacks but not anxiety triggered Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
S Is Aesthetic Sensitivity A Sign of a Panic Disorder? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
L Help. Girlfriend panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
K In a constant cycle of panic... Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
MissPink Do I have this Panic Disorder? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
M Panic, Anxiety, and Emetephobia Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 21
steelboss Vicious Anxiety, or Panic, or Heart. Who knows? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
N Panic attacks are back after 4 years. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Passing out from panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
Shayfury Med change triggered panic relapse Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
L Panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
lilbat Panic attack? Or something else? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
N Panic disorder for a year now Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
A Panic disorder help! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
D What do you do when you get panic attack, please help? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 41
D GAD/Panic Disorder/ ADD and ... Vertigo ? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
P Panic attacks becoming more frequent and intense. Not sure what to do. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
sparrowling Panic Attacks Rare Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
R Can panic last hours? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
J 45M-Was this Angina, extreme dehydration/heat exhaustion, indigestion/heartburn or a panic attack? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
F Panic disorder Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
H HEAT INDUCED PANIC ATTACKS - please share your experiences Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
hORIzonFINK210 (Was blog15) how to jog a panic attack.> Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
I Parent with panic disorder Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
Z Panic attacks or anxiety? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
Antimatter Panic attack! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
T i feel ashamed of taking my medication to stop my panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13