• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My mom doesn't agree w/ dr.'s care -because she doesn't trust me

A

Art78

I'm so tired of having a bipolar mom that thinks I'm crazier. So tired of hearing "Well.......you know what happens"
I cut my risperdal in half. (8 days ago) Saw a new psychiatrist and told her I wanted completely off. And I just want to see how I feel. It's not that I'm not open to adding anything......Its whether I need to. My mom is fuming mad at me for not adding a new drug or upping something.
She's always been super controlling and I hate how she makes me feel when I disagree. She's crazy enough she could call my Dr. and rant about me and greatly over exaggerate!
I'm just wondering if you have family members that have more faith in your illness than you?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have family members who cause me stress and interfere in my decisions. That in addition to my mental illness and other problems, can worsen my symptoms, stop me sleeping well. They have a big impact on us and so should know better than to cause stress that is unecessary.

If you are making a mistake, it is your mistake to make. You have to be allowed to make your own decsions.

I have found that if i don't want people to give me their opinion, then i shouldn't have told them what i was going to do.

I think personally you are rushing coming off this medication. 8 days is not long and i personally believe will cause a relapse. Maybe your mum feels she cannot cope with you being unwell? Maybe that is the stress she feels and why she is angry with you. I had to make clear to my mum that i could look after myself.

A

Art78

You are right about many things. I also have an ex that is bp (we have an 11yr old.) He sets me off like nothing else. My mom is fearful of him in my life. And my mom really can't handle any worry with her children.
I am tapering for 2 more weeks. Only worry is I have planned 5 days in redwoods trip next week.and but I have 10 days off work.

HLon99

HLon99

Dear Art78,

Have you considered bringing your mum in for a session with your psychiatrist. Its could be a risky move and she may exaggerate and stress about your mental state, but perhaps hearing it straight from a medical professional will help quell some of her concerns. I'm sure these doctors are more than used to dealing with overreacting parents. Perhaps its better to bring her inside the loop. As they say its better to have someone inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes,
-H

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 3