• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

My Mirtazapine Experience

A

Alin05

WARNING!
Do not take my personal opinions as a medical advice!
Mirtazapine is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant drug with a very interesting non linear action. It's effects are very much dose dependent. At 7.5 mg it has a strong sedative action, while it's adrenergic effects are negligible. At this dose it can be used in combination with other antidepressants to cancel the sleep problems caused by them. At 15 mg it's still a strong sedative, but it's adrenergic and serotonergic action is more pronounced. At this dose it still cancels the side effects of other antidepressants but their dose has to be lowered. Mirtazapine alone is not a very efficient antidepressant at 15 mg. At 30 and 45 mg it's adrenergic effects are very strong and mirtazapine becomes a very activating drug, while it's sedative effects become so negligible that it can even cause insomnia. From my experience, this drug should be used in three ways:
1. To cancel the side effects of other drugs at a dose of only 7.5 mg.
2. To cancel the side effects of other drugs and to obtain a stronger antidepressant effect in combination with other drugs at 15 mg. The dose of the other drug has to be adjusted in this combination.
3. As a single drug, without the need for any other antidepressant at 22.5 mg. At 30 or 45 mg, mirtazapine's adrenergic effects become to strong and it can cause insomnia and increased anxiety, so higher doses should be avoided.