My mind has taken a turn for the worst

L

Logia

Hello, I'm not sure what category this falls under so I hope I'm not wrong in posting it here. I have not consulted a medical professional so I'm not sure if the terms I'm using are correct.

I'm not really sure how to explain what I'm going through but ever since I spent a month in isolation away from all my usual activities due to an injury, my mind has become something completely different. I first went through really bad depression but now I just feel like life is meaningless and I feel like I have anxiety. I've tried talking to a few close friends but I have not been able to find any answers. I even feel suicidal sometimes due to my thoughts about the world and the purpose of life.

Suicide seems like the best option for me but deep down I feel like it might not be the right choice. Should I visit a medical professional? I'm very hesitent to do so because of the social implications and worrying my family. Any replies would be helpful, Thank you.

Parayana

Parayana

@Logia, there is stigma in many countries around mental health, however consulting a medical professional is far better than being dead. I live in the UK and had a Psychiatrist from India, he was a really nice man and we got on great. I've had suicidal thoughts and nearly succeeded at it twice, however the right medication made a difference and now I'm fairly happy to be alive.

L

Logia

@Logia, there is stigma in many countries around mental health, however consulting a medical professional is far better than being dead. I live in the UK and had a Psychiatrist from India, he was a really nice man and we got on great. I've had suicidal thoughts and nearly succeeded at it twice, however the right medication made a difference and now I'm fairly happy to be alive.
Glad to hear that you're doing well now. I'm really hesitent to visit one because of what everyone will think, I act the same way I do as I always have on the outside. Are there any ways to do it online maybe?

Parayana

Parayana

There are web doctors you can access from a smart phone in the UK via an app, there may be something similar in your country. I covered up my illness for years and it just got worse.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Hmmmn time to think a lot of people will do anything to avoid doing that very thing but it seems that you got to do that!

For me the deeper picture is my faith as the world makes no sense and at best it changes its mind about things.

My life has been a search for meaning and hence my faith as the world never really stood up to scrutiny.
Scrutiny definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

BetaMale

BetaMale

Hello, I'm not sure what category this falls under so I hope I'm not wrong in posting it here. I have not consulted a medical professional so I'm not sure if the terms I'm using are correct.

I'm not really sure how to explain what I'm going through but ever since I spent a month in isolation away from all my usual activities due to an injury, my mind has become something completely different. I first went through really bad depression but now I just feel like life is meaningless and I feel like I have anxiety. I've tried talking to a few close friends but I have not been able to find any answers. I even feel suicidal sometimes due to my thoughts about the world and the purpose of life.

Suicide seems like the best option for me but deep down I feel like it might not be the right choice. Should I visit a medical professional? I'm very hesitent to do so because of the social implications and worrying my family. Any replies would be helpful, Thank you.
Suicide is never the answer. I was 17 when I developed chronic insomnia (due to underlying depression) and I believed my life was over. The next decade was rough with an incompetent psychiatrist (in India) making mistakes in my treatment, that included two traumatic involuntary hospitalizations which resulted in me developing PTSD as well. I've had a total of around 10 mental health hospitalizations and most of them didn't help me that much. However, I've now found a good psychiatrist (also in India) and am working with her to maintain my stability and avoid any more hospitalizations. I'm 29 now (turning 30 tomorrow!) and I cherish my life more than ever.